Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #1  

cjnew

Tractor
Craftsman DGT 6000
I just bought a used Craftsman DGT 6000. It has a 2 cylinder Kohler engine. It is a CV740 type 0024. If I am sitting on the seat looking forward, the left hand side fires, the right hand side does not fire. Pull out right hand plug, engine starts, runs ten seconds, dies. Take same spark plug out of left side and put in right and the engine just spins over, does not even try to hit. Any ideas? Does this sound expensive? Thank you for your time.

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #2  
Morning Cj, Sounds like it needs a new magneto pickup (coil) on that side, which should be under the engine flywheel cover. I'm not sure if this model has two separate ignition mag-coils or if it is a combined unit.

Does it give you a spark with the plug in the wire when cranking on the starter while holding it against the block?? Start with that and report back, And make sure to keep your fingers away from the open end of the wire or you might get a tickle...;)

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems
Thanks Nasty. Haven't tried to tickle my finger yet but I had considered swapping the 2 coil packs to see if everything reverses.

At this point it would have been nice to have been a coil. Not! The piston on that side was stuck at tdc. I pushed it down manually with a screwdriver. With only 120 hours on it do I short block or just tear it down and replace what is broken on that side? If I put anything new on that side will it create an unbalance in the engine?

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #5  
I have a Kohler 25hp in my Cub Cadet and searched and found a service manual for it on line. I googled Kohler 25hp to find it then entered the model number and found the complete downloadable manual.
If you know how, the manual gives you the info to go through it. With proper inspection you should be able to replace the damaged parts without going overboard. There shouldn't be any balance issues.

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded a service manual from Kohler and started to tear it down tonight. Just wish I had more daylight now. No telling what I'll find because it looks as though they have been in it. I've noticed screws missing or stripped and the oil pan/bottom plate on engine was put back together with silicon/RTV gasket stuff. As sloppy as it is, pretty sure it is not factory.

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #7  
So are you saying this thing has disconnected the rod on the right side? Is this an overhead valve engine? If so you may have bent valves...on top of a loose rod :( Man O Man this is very interesting, somebody needs a whoopin...

Hopefully the crank is ok as long as it hasn't been whacking the loose rod now and again :eek:

So when it runs for its ten seconds it must have been on one cylinder...

What exactly do you mean "put anything new on that side"...?

If you try to spin the motor over now you really risk smacking the crank with that loose rod being in the way...since you were able to push the piston down some... don't try it with the starter...

She has to come apart unfortunately, sounds like you gearing up for the task.. Good Luck!! :)

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #8  
So, you have a Circus Engine! One that was worked on by Clowns!
Now more than ever it is important to inspect the parts. Check for cylinder damage, when a connecting rod goes it can scar the cyl. or even break the lower edges off.
There is a good chance that they either over or under torqued the rod causing it to fail. Check the crank real well, measure it with a micrometer. If it is discolored it has gotten hot and needs a machine shop to inspect. They can tell if it is warped and needs to be straightened.
I hate going behind someone who dosen't know what they are doing, they usually do more damage than they fix.

THanks guys for all the good info. I appreciate it. I guess what I was concerned about would happen if I had to put a completely new piston in and it would probably have more compression than the other side but I realize now that probably wouldn't do any harm. I grew up on a farm until I was 13. Starting to tear this engine down brings back alot of memories of working on engines with my Dad and I am kind of looking forward to working on this with my ten year old son. He is at that age where he really wants to do things together and he loves to tear things apart. When I pushed the piston back down, I only pushed it very little and then turned the engine over very slowly by hand until I could feel the parts touch a little and then stopped. This circus engine has actually caused my wife to act like a clown. You know the one that has a look on it's face that says "I told you so". The one that says "You should have bought a new one". I tried to explain that I wanted this particular model and it is no longer made. For some reason that was a foreign concept to her. I have never owned anything but a Sears. And for some reason I do not like the new Foot control Hydro's. I am much more accustomed to the lever on the fender. Hopefully we can work on it more some more tonight.

/ Craftsman DGT 6000 Kohler problems #10  
hey guys got a question i have a dgt 6000 proubly 04 or newer model riding mower and was wondering if anybody knew if i a 42" or 36" deck would match up to the 54" deck that is in place now