Brief Rant about Craftsman

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Disclaimer: I've never been a big fan of Craftsman. They are fine tools, and everything, but it seems like you can get as good a tool for half the price at checker auto that still has a lifetime warranty.

I helped my brother change the brakes on his truck yesterday. He's got some kind of fancy wheels (it's a Chevy Avalanche), and the lug wrench that comes with the truck won't even fit into the hole to take the lugs off.

It's a 13/16" lug, but my stupid craftsman socket (gift from the FIL) wouldn't fit into the hole. I even took to it with a rubber mallet to no avail. Lucky for me I had a cheap set of sockets that I'd picked up one piece at a time at yard sales. I tried the cheapest looking 13/16" socket I had. It slipped right in without a problem and took the lugs off fine. No busted nut shoulders, no slipping. The craftsman socket in all it's Joe Suburban lifetime warranty glory was 1/32" larger O.D. than the cheap chinese socket (yes, I measured).

Thank heavens for cheap chinese junk.

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #2  
Ok I am not a fan of craftsman.. their cordless power tools are rebagged RYOBI for twice the money. However if his rims are aftermarket his lugnuts arnt stock, and they may be metric. A lot of cheap chinese socket sets are duplicates re stamped. IE a 13mm and a 1/2" are the same ETC. The 13/16 cheap socket may have been its metric counterpart with a few thou extra tolerance. Im not defending Craftsman, but try a 21 or 22mm socket on it and see if that fits. Ive seen this a few times.

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #3  
Many cheap sockets are smaller in diameter, that's why they break. Good sockets will usually have a larger outside diameter. My Snap On and Mac Tools sockets are usually larger in diameter than Craftsman sockets. They actually make special sockets for this type of rim, they have very thin walls and are known as wheel sockets.

You think Craftsman is expensive, you should see how much Snap On, Mac Tools and Matco tools cost. Socket sets are probably at least 3 times or more expensive than Craftsman. In my opinion they are well worth the money.

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #4  
Sounds more like the wheels are the problem instead of the sockets as the lug nut recess should accommodate common removal tools.

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #5  
my Dakota came from the factory with metric lug nuts - might be worth double checking one with a caliper or mike when it's off the tire to see what it really is.

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #6  
It's a 13/16" lug, but my stupid craftsman socket (gift from the FIL) wouldn't fit into the hole.

So ! :confused::confused:

There are thin wall sockets out there. :D

There are also deep sockets and six point and twelve point sockets.:D

Also sockets for impact wrenches.:D

Some cost more than others. Some last longer than others.:D

But I agree, some of the Craftsman stuff is junk. About 35 years ago I broke a 3/8 in. craftsman breaker bar. Yep, just snap! Course I did have a three foot piece of pipe over the bar and jumped on it!:D

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #7  
There are also deep sockets and six point and twelve point sockets.:D

Don't forget about 8-point sockets as well;)

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #9  
I not a fan of craftsman.Last time returned broken ratchet they replaced it
with recondition one well had to except it with previous owners name
etched on it.So long craftsman.Framer

/ Brief Rant about Craftsman #10  
Craftsman was a quality hand tool until the time period when Bob Villa became their spokesman & gadget tools became their mainstay. Now it's the "collector series", so much for working tools.
Last week I told Sears where to put their card I've held since 1971. They wanted a $38 dollar late fee for a payment postmarked 10 days before it was due - "It's not our fault the mail is slow!" They agreed to drop the fee since we've never missed a payment before & then I closed the account so I'll never be late again. MikeD74T