Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed

/ Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed #1  

Keppie

My vintage Craftsman 42" mower (model 917.254860) is missing a suspension arm. There are three of them on this model. Two are shown on the Lift diagram (see attached file: Key No. 19; PN 130832) as a "Arm Suspension Rear" and one is shown on the Mower Deck diagram as "Arm Suspension Rear" (is the center diagonal of attached picture)
The Sears web parts list shows these items as discontinued. My mower is probably 15 years (or so) old . I'll bet that most of the 42" mower decks around that time were very similar. Does anyone know of a source of Craftsman Mower used parts or does anyone have one of these arms you are willing to sell?.
thanks!

Attachments

• LIFT diagram.jpg.gif
    LIFT diagram.jpg.gif
    64.7 KB · Views: 7,635
  • Copy of Rebuild Mower deck 6-9-06 (9).JPG
    Copy of Rebuild Mower deck 6-9-06 (9).JPG
    10 KB · Views: 586
   / Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed #2  
That would be an easy part to fabricate, especially using the one you have as a pattern.

If you don't have the ability, surely someone near you could do it. look for a welder/fabricator.

/ Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed #3  
Might just keep trying ebay until one comes along. My craftsman mower also had parts discontinued on it. I tried finding them for several months before abandoning it and buying a new mower. Because of the parts issue, I didn't go back to Craftsman.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed #4  
Outdoor Distributors says the replacement AYP part number is: 178024.

In many cases Sears uses the original manufacture's part number so you can look them up at Sears and then Google other suppliers. Models that start 917. are American Yard Products (AYP) built machines.

Here's a link to OD for you: AYP Power Equipment Parts Outdoor Distributors AYP Search

/ Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

To: ray66v Thanks and I agree with the fabrication alternative. Even though the Outdoor Distributors (OD) AYP part number provided is not the correct part, I can buy two of them for $9, cut them to size, and weld them together to make my part as you suggested.
To: EddieWalker Thanks. I buy and sell on eBay quite a bit so that source was one of my first checks.
To: atschirner Thanks. Your research gave me new info that will help now and in the future. Especially the American Yard Products tip. The part number given by OD is not the part I need, but the part I need can be made from two of the straight pieces. I also sent OD an email requesting they check again to see if they have the correct part.

Once again, thanks to you guys! :D

I guess there's no money in a riding mower business analogous to our wonderful car bone yards since no one seems to know of any. :confused:

/ Craftsman 42" Mower deck part needed
Update: After a lot more searching and calling about the part called a Suspension Arm, two separate sources confirmed what fellow TBN forum member "atschirner" was told; that is, the replacement AYP part number is: 178024 - which is straight rather than "zigzagged" like the original. I ordered two and will soon find out if they do the job.

I also needed two brake pads, called "puck, friction" for my transaxle, a Dana / Foote 4360-56; Again, the Sears parts site says these are discontinued. But it turns out that Outdoor Distributors (OD) had these parts also, except that you have to give OD the DANA / Foote PN. (Foote took over Dana so many parts are now listed under Foote) I got my Part numbers at this site which has the transaxle diagrams and parts lists: http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/foote/4360-XXX.pdf. Just replace the XXX and put in your two or three digit transaxle suffix after the last forward slash like this: /4360-56.pdf

If you have a Dana transaxle and are experiencing any issues, I suggest you take some heart medicine and then read the posts at this site..
Dana Transaxle D4360-140
Or - put this search into your browser, "Dana Transaxle d4360-140". Doesn't matter which Dana transaxle you have, this thread will likely answer your transaxle issue questions or test the heart medicine. You will also get many other helpful sites in the search results.