craftsman lawn tractor

/ craftsman lawn tractor #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
hi everyone, I've got an old craftsman lawn tractor my dad bought new in the 70s or 80s ,I've been trying to get it running and went to Sears today to see about getting some new points.Well the kid working there had no idea what points were.I suggested he go online to find them and sure nuff he found them.Only thing is they cost $25.00.So I went back home and cleaned up the old ones ,what I'd like to know does anyone know the correct gap to set them? appericate any input,russ

/ craftsman lawn tractor #2  
Can you provide the engine manufacture and model number? That information is more helpful than just saying Craftsman. Sears used many of the major engine companies in their products.

/ craftsman lawn tractor
Sorry ,should have done that. Model #for the engine is 143246092.8H.P. Model# for the mower is 53681362TB3. Couldn't find a make on the engine but guessing it's a Craftsman. hope this helps.Thanks Russ

Last edited:
   / craftsman lawn tractor #4  
Points gap is probably 0.020" - Twenty thousandths.

On my older engines, I replace the points with an electronic module for less than the cost of points and never mess with them again.

Ignition Module

/ craftsman lawn tractor #5  
To my knowledge, Sears didn't make any lawnmowers. I believe they were made by other manufacturers with the Craftsman name on them.

My guess is that you have a Techusemseh engine on it, and any lawn mower shop will probably have the points for it.

I would also guess that there's probably an owner's group website for them somewhere. Sears sold a zillion of them. I met a guy recently who was putting a chinadiesel engine on his.

/ craftsman lawn tractor
Travelover you are spot on onthe gap setting ,I am definitely gonna check into the electroinc conversion, thank you.and 2manyrocks you are right that the engine make is Tecushama,both the gap and engine make were on the point cover but I didn't see them until I cleaned off the grease.thanks,russ