Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder

/ Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder #21  
Yes, you can hook this spark tester in series with the spark plug. Simply plug the tester into the plug wire and attach the clip to the spark plug tip. You will be giving the ignition a "double-jump" which should prove just how strong the spark is.

/ Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder
Yes, you can hook this spark tester in series with the spark plug. Simply plug the tester into the plug wire and attach the clip to the spark plug tip. You will be giving the ignition a "double-jump" which should prove just how strong the spark is.

Ill try that. I didnt think these small coils would have enough juice to jump two gaps

OK we now have SPARK~~!!!!:D

Im not sure what i did, but its working. I removed the flywheel to check the keyway and reinstalled, now theres spark.

Only thing i can figure is that the coil gap wasnt staying where i set it because one of the set screws was partially stripped (i didnt really catch this earlier).

I drilled and tapped for a larger screw, now its staying tight.

I bought some inline testers to confirm and all looks good!!!

THats the good news, heres the bad.,

The plugs are still fouling, and theres 1/4" of gas in the bottom of the intake.

THe RH plug is still getting warm and the LH is getting hot. I took some pictures to illustrate the fouling issue. THese were brand new plugs today.

The previous crack in the main jet housing has now turned into a chip missing. I used sealent on the threads, so i doubt theres gas getting by, but it doesnt look pretty.

I think the next thing im going to do is remove the muffler and check for any obstructions. Id like to change the carb out, but i really dont want to put any more money into this thing unless im sure it will fix it.

More pics can be found here :http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu221/scooby074/Briggs%20Problems/?albumview=grid

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
   / Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder #24  
Sure looks like you are getting way too much gas, if your choke is working properly and air filter clean I would take another look at that chip in the carb. Maybe some JB weld?

/ Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder #25  
Have you checked the needle in the carb? It looks like raw gas is being pulled into the intake. If the needle is failing, or misadjusted, the fuel level will be too high and cause a rich condition. A plugged atmospheric vent will also cause fuel to keep running into the carb.

Im going to JB weld in the Jet. This is the last kick at the can for the old girl.

Briggs online says that the original carb is no longer available. The current model replacement is $183 USD. Which will likely be 250 up here in canada. I think its getting to the point of cutting our losses. Too bad, the mower cuts great, even with the fouling plugs.

There was a new needle put in. The float was adjusted paralel to the carb. The fuel level in the last pic was the level when i pulled the top off the carb.

Ill have a look for a plugged vent.

Attached pic of fuel level.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 183
   / Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder #27  
I was looking at your first picture of the carb bowl, you can see where the bolt head that holds in the jet. It looks like the bolt has a hole or something in the side of the hex head, is it a hole that could leak air or just cosmetic? I can't really tell.

The hex on the outside of the bowl is a bit chewed up but theres no leaks. Is that what your talking about? Or are we talking about the area behind the main jet?

today i took some JB weld and epoxied the jet in place and filled that chip in behind the main jet. This should prevent any fuel from passing the jet causing flooding.

If this works and the engine runs fine, i will consider a new carb. I dont want to throw a 200$ carb at a 23 year old machine unless im sure everything else is working.

Edit: Just got off the phone from sears. Carb is $232.99 :eek:

Last edited:
No joy.JB welded main jet made no difference. Still flooding badly. 3/16" gas under the carb in the intake :(

Im going to check on a used carb tomorrow. If i cant find one reasonable, i think the old girls going up for sale.

/ Craftsman / Briggs 18HP Running on 1 cylinder #30  
Im going to check on a used carb tomorrow.

Sorry you are still struggling, Jason.

There are 2 used carbs for 18hp twins currently on Ebay. I don't know
if they are compatible with the older carbs from 16hp twins.

Anyway, there are tons of these lying around free, in the form of
derelict lawn tractors in people's back yards. That is how I got mine
(off a 79 Craftsman).