Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap?

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #61  
I ran into the same problems with the front linkage and the mandrels when I was trying to use my Craftsman Garden Tractor as a brush hog: mowing an old field, and some trails through my woods.

I don't know if anyone makes tougher mandrels, but there may be a reason for that. If you make the mandrel stronger, them something else becomes the weakest link in the system - possibly something more expensive. I had to replace one of the housings that holds the mandrel when it finally cracked on me.

I eventually bought a compact tractor, and gave my lawn mower a rest from that tough duty. I assume that the mandrels on the finish mowers sold for CUTs and SCUTs are stronger - they are probably made to handle higher HP - but I can't say I've ever looked in any detail, since I don't have a finish mower for my tractor.

What you really need is a brush hog-type mower, and a tractor large enough to handle it. The smallest brush mower I've seen is 4 ft. But I'm not sure if all of the SCUTs can handle it on their 3 pt hitch. With the acreage you have, you may find yourself wishing you had a CUT, rather than a SCUT. That would also let you handle a 5 or 6 foot brush mower.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #62  
I have had a snapper (about 10 years bought used with bagger for $500) then moved to the Snapper....think it is a LT3000 has a honda vtwin motor, auto transmission.....I have moved stuff it should not have mowed, I have pulled drags etc, and it still is running strong. About 7 years old, I have only had 2 problems with it....the starter is sticking...have had it "cleaned" by a repair shop and may need it again (honda part)....and the carburetor has some rubber tips inside that I broke off cleaning it...the mower runs fine but idles sporadically....all because of my error....yes it back fires ...again I think it is due to my knocking off the rubber tips inside the carb.....would I buy the honda motor specifically again....not sure.....this lawnmower does not cut as good as the snapper....but I have been pleased with my purchase....I would buy it again for the money.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #63  
Looking over my post....I incorrectly listed the LT3000 as a Snapper.....meant to say Craftsman......

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #64  
Sister/BIL moved into to new home on an acre the week their son was born. Years later, they moved to a place with more land and bought a larger lawn tractor and gave me that old one when I moved here 7 years ago. Not talking huge here, its only a 17.5 hp and come to find out, when BIL knew he was getting a new one, he used it to cut paths thru the woods for the kids to use their ATVs. Lots of abuse.

Their son will turn 19 the end of summer and other than changing the oil and replacing the battery, it still runs. I'll admit the darn thing stranded me down at the bottom of the hill a couple of times so I bought another tractor once this one began to act up but when the guys come over and do maintenance/service it, they can get it running to cut my yard with it, no problem. :thumbsup:

Nineteen years old - not bad! I've had relatively good luck with both Sears Craftsman/Kenmore products over the years. I had an old stored avocado washer in a shed that I gave away two years back. Friend has a hunting camp rustic cabin and it too still works. I have no idea how old that thing is but avocado green hasn't been an available color in decades. :)