3 Hp Craftsman kill switch

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #1  

01supercrew

First thank you for allowing me to post!

I'm working on a Craftsman tiller model 785 62243 203 with a B&S engine. Carb is a pulse jet. It runs fine, my only question is where to route the ground wire coming from under the flywheel? I have read that it gets hooked up to the throttle linkage somehow but it's just currently hangin in the wind. Can I just install a momentary switch.

Model for Briggs is 80202-1017-02 81060803

Thanks

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #2  
Yes, a switch to ground will kill the engine.
But, the way it's supposed to work is when the throttle is pulled to the "stop" position there should be contact switch that grounds the ignition. Usually white plastic, close to the carb, and very near the end of the throttle cable.

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch
that's what I was looking for, but don't seem to have one on this engine

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #4  
Briggs lists it as a 297472S Stop Switch. it attaches to the throttle linkage. There is one listed on eBay today if you want to see a picture. It has an insulating nylon base and a spring steel clip that holds the primary wire to the magneto. When the throttle is moved to the slowest position the bellcrank makes contact with the spring steel clip and kills the engine.

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #5  
Go to a B&S service dealer and ask for an ignition kill switch.

Another thought. Some machines use a switch or key to kill the ignition, but if you have a wire coming from the coil you probably need the kill switch on the throttle.

/ 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #6  
just a plain off and on toggle switch would work and be cheaper. zman

Thanks guys, I'll enquire, may go with the switch. I'll let you know

I've enclosed a picture hopefully this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 649
   / 3 Hp Craftsman kill switch #10  
Diagram nuber 348 is the stop switch. The new part number is 691941. Briggs carb.gif