craftsman lawn tractor

/ craftsman lawn tractor #1  

hallall

I bought this tractor in,july of 2009 and it's in good condition but i'm having a problem with having to charge the battery each time i use it. The battery was purchased the same time i bought the tractor. I'am also new to using a pc so please bare with me. If there's anyone out there that can possibly give me some ideas about what maybe causing this problem I would appreciate any input. Trying to attach a photo of the tractor.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 3,181
   / craftsman lawn tractor #2  
One of the older ones {early 80's -70's} nice shape. I'd check ALL wires and connections 1st then look at the charger starter{I believe that is what this will have{???}

/ craftsman lawn tractor #3  
Either your battery is bad, yes I know it is new but it could still have a bad cell, or your starter-generator may need to be rebuilt (new brushes). Does the belt have enough tension on it? Like has been suggested check all of the wiring connections and get your meter out to check the output of the starter-generator. Should be fairly easy to fix as these tractors are pretty simple. Nice tractor by the way.
Ken

/ craftsman lawn tractor #4  
I would install a quick disconnect on the battery. You will find out if you have a short that is draining the battery when it is sitting for a while. If the tractor starts after using the disconnect, start looking for the short. Take the battery in and have them do a test on it ... quick and easy. Then it is the charging system.

/ craftsman lawn tractor #5  
that model should have the tecumseh hh100 engine which has a 12 volt starter and a separate flywheel charging system so i would say that it has a bad diode in the wire coming out of the alterator it will look like a plastic covered bulge in the wire right before the plug connects to the tractor wiring harness

/ craftsman lawn tractor #6  
I bought this tractor in,july of 2009 and it's in good condition but i'm having a problem with having to charge the battery each time i use it. The battery was purchased the same time i bought the tractor. I'am also new to using a pc so please bare with me. If there's anyone out there that can possibly give me some ideas about what maybe causing this problem I would appreciate any input. Trying to attach a photo of the tractor.

There's been some good suggestions posted here. Do you have access to a DVM (Digital Volt Meter)? If you do, then connect the leads to the battery terminals and write down the voltage reading. Now start the engine and let it run at fast idle. Record the voltage reading. Let the engine run for 10 minutes and again record the voltage reading. Is the recorded voltage number getting bigger or smaller?

A fully charged battery should read close to 12.7 volts with the engine not running. With the engine running, and the charging system working correctly, the battery voltage should be well over 13 volts. Many small tractors don't have a high-output charging system so it may take a while to restore a full charge to a battery, but you should be able to see the battery voltage go up as the engine runs until it is well over the 13 volt level. If the voltage stays at that original reading, or goes down, then the charging system isn't working and you need to troubleshoot the problem. Previous suggestions about loose belts and open diodes are a good start.

If the battery voltage does go up while the engine is running, but won't start the engine the next time you want to use it, then the other suggestions about a defective battery or a current leak might be good to try.
With the engine shut off put the DVM leads across the battery terminals. Record the reading. Wait 20-30 minutes and record the reading. Did it stay the same or go down? Any significant drop would indicate a problem. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and try your readings again. Stay the same or go down? If it still went down then the battery is suspect, if not then reconnect the battery terminal and start looking for the source of the current leak. Maybe cut insulation on a hot wire, or defective ignition switch, or corrosion on the switch plug. Any "home grown" wiring on this tractor, maybe where a previous owner added an extra light or some other electrical option? Owners have been known to "hot wire" stuff so that turning off the ignition switch doesn't turn off the power to the option.

BTW: If your battery has ever gotten down into the 9.6-10 volt range then it's probably been badly damaged.

If you don't have a DVM it would be a great idea to get one, most auto parts stores have them for $25 or less and it sure makes troubleshooting electrical problems easier.

Hope this helps.

/ craftsman lawn tractor
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions.I will post the fix for the problem as soon as find what it was.