New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have an older Craftsman garden tractor that I have retired from mowing. It still runs good and I am going to keep it to use with various sleeve hitch attachments. I am going to purchase a new garden tractor to use for mowing now and as a replacement old one when it dies.

My first choice is another Craftsman so I can use the sleeve hitch off the old tractor. I would appreciate any recommendations you can provide regarding the purchase of a new Craftsman garden tractor or another brand.

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #2  
I bought a new GT3000 back in May, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Has plenty of power, quick turning and a pretty sturdy transmission. With their rebates and promotions I don't think you'll find a better deal.

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #3  
You can't beat the hydrostatic tranny for mowing if you stuff to mow around like trees and planting beds etc........

Good Luck, Bob

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #4  
<font color=blue>You can't beat the hydrostatic tranny for mowing if you stuff to mow around like trees and planting beds etc........</font color=blue>

If the long term use is to pull ground engaging equipment, the standard tranny will give less problems. I had two hydro Cases that showed the wear when put to lugging use.

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #5  
In reading the original post ............long term use pulling ground engaging equipment is not the application. The poster stated that the old machine would be kept specifically for that purpose and that the new machine would be used for mowing...............in that case a hydrostatic transmission is better suited. Furthermore, hydrostatic drives are used in many applications with excellent results................and long term durability..........for example..........commercial mowers used for golf courses and commercial landscape businesses etc.........use hydros with tremendous effectiveness. Long term reliability has proven to excellent. Now if you want to go out and till a field with a garden tractor on a regular basis then a gear tranny would probably be a better choice. But if you want to mow lawn.........................the hydro is far better suited than is the gear driven transmission.

/ New Craftsman Garden Tractor Recommendations #6  
I have a Craftsman 15.5 HP, hydro trans, 42" deck. I've had it over 4 years now and it has been a very good lawn tractor. For 2 years I used it to mow my 3 1/2 acre lawn, which half of is very hilly, and the Craftsman took it in stride even in 90 degree weather. My only complaint was that it took me too long with the 42" deck. So, about 2 years ago, I bought my Boomer and a 6' mower, and I only use the Craftsman to do the areas up close to the house that I can't get with the big mower, and over the septic tank. I also use it to pull a 42" lawn sweeper. It has help up well and the only problem I've had is with the battery, which just gave out. So, I don't see how you could go wrong with buying a Craftsman with a hydro drive.

Look for a hydro with a pedal control, rather than the hand control. The hand control means you only have one hand to steer with if you're doing a lot of back and forth type stuff, like trimming around bushes. I had to put a spin knob on mine to make it possible to steer and cut sharp with one hand, while controlling the drive with the other hand. My father in law has a Toro with the foot control and it's really nice. I don't know if Craftsman has any foot control ones, but it would be worth checking