New Life for my GT and a gentler spin on Sears

/ New Life for my GT and a gentler spin on Sears #1  

DavidVT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3430
Despite years of bitter complaints, I have to say something positive about Sears.
1) Due to some abuse, I had to replace $200 of damaged parts on my Husqvarna.The Sears parts web site made this very easy.
2) My limping 2000 Craftsmen GT came back to life after sitting for a few years. A low pressure electric fuel pump from NAPA did the trick.

History:
I will be the first to admit having become quite unhappy with my Craftsmen and Husqvarna Garden Tractors.

In 2000 we bought a 22hp 50" Craftsman GT for our 2 acres of mowing after having given up a pile of old grey Craftsman lawn tractors. The old ones were used when I bought them, always started, but were just falling apart from age and wear.

The first few years that Green Craftsman worked hard and earned it's keep. Then it started having problems running rough, had numerous trips to several mechanics, and finally one spring I gave up on it because I was traveling too much and my wife needed something reliable.

The result of giving up on that was a hasty decision to replace the GT with a Husqvarna of about the same size. Now we had bought ourselves into the lovely reverse stall safety device generation (not Husq fault). This beast can't climb or descend any kind of hill without slippage or run away with my wife standing on the brakes.

We both wished the older Green Craftsman would return from the dead, but no trips to the mechanics would keep it running for more than a tank or two of gas.

---
Now the old beast is back. It still climbs and descends the hills just as well as it did when it was new!!
I will still have to get some tubes for the tires and perhaps a starter in the near future!! (Currently it will just about stall a Crown Vic when I jump start it off the car.)

/ New Life for my GT and a gentler spin on Sears #2  
If it's that hard to start, you may want to check the valve clearance.
The compression release which helps it start under lower compression
is part of the cam, so if the valve clearance isn't right, the compression
release may not be working. (you can often hear a little chatter from
the rocker arm area due to too much clearance)

I had this problem on my 16.5 hp craftsman. It wouldn't even jumpstart off
my pickup, so I thought it needed a new starter, till I figured this out.