Used Craftsman LT1000 Mower - Parts Source

/ Used Craftsman LT1000 Mower - Parts Source #1  

Kevin_in_VA

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC30 Hydro
Just stole a running, gently used (in a gated community with a small yard) 5 yr old Craftsman LT1000 6 speed with rear bagger for 80 bucks from the original owner (who I trust). It has the 17.5 HP OHV B&S motor. I have an older Murray in my barn with a 14.5 HP OHV B&S auto that threw a rod several years back that I never got rid of. I have read several threads where folks have carburetor and magneto problems with the LT1000.

Would the 14.5 be good for external parts for the 17.5 , carburetor, magneto, etc....?

I'm thinking the mower deck, seat, tires, & all would probably cross over too.

/ Used Craftsman LT1000 Mower - Parts Source #3  
If it is a Briggs, you need the three numbers off the engine cowling, usually in front. Stamped into the shroud tin.

Model xxxxxxxx Type xxxxxxx Code xxxxxx

Sears Parts Direct is good, but not the only source. Armed with Briggs engine identification, those engine parts are WIDELY available. Just google.

Many times, the model number of the body of the mower (under the seat, usually) is very good for identifying and purchasing other parts pertaining to the tractor body and mowing deck.

/ Used Craftsman LT1000 Mower - Parts Source #4  
The first 3 numbers on Sears products are the manufacturer's code numbers. You can Google those numbers to find out who made that product for Sears.
My LT1000 is made by AYP (American Yard Products), so knowing this information allows you to search for parts for your mower that can be much lower priced than Sears. The same situation exists for B&S. In fact, many of the parts numbers in your owners manual are AYP numbers.
I now get replacement parts for my LT1000 through a local business that deals in yard and garden equipment. There is usually no wait time for parts to arrive and they are much cheaper than Sears.