Transmission Problems???

/ Transmission Problems??? #1  

Surfmonkey

Tractor
Craftsman 24HP 42" 917.287261
I have a Craftsman 24 HP 42" Electric Start Automatic Transmission. The Model Number is: 917.287261

The tractor would not travel at high speed. Engine runs and blades turn but the tractor would not get up to high speed. If I went in a straight line, it would gradually pick up speed. When I would make a turn, it would not get up to high speed.

This morning, it will go in reverse (but not fast) and will not go forward but a few feet then stops. Slight groan from under the seat, guessing it is the transmission.

Any ideas on what problem might be? Can I do the tranny rebuild myself even though I am not a mechanic, but am somewhat mechanically inclined?

/ Transmission Problems??? #2  
3 year old Craftsman 42' cut.. - Tractors Forum - GardenWeb

Is this you ? Did the problem come back ?
If so then you have a transmission problem. They can be repaired. The first step would be to get the model number and manufacturer of the transmission and post it here. Or take a look at the website of the manufacturer and get their phone number for the parts dept. They can help on the phone.

Steve

/ Transmission Problems??? #3  
I have a Craftsman 24 HP 42" Electric Start Automatic Transmission. The Model Number is: 917.287261

The tractor would not travel at high speed. Engine runs and blades turn but the tractor would not get up to high speed. If I went in a straight line, it would gradually pick up speed. When I would make a turn, it would not get up to high speed.

This morning, it will go in reverse (but not fast) and will not go forward but a few feet then stops. Slight groan from under the seat, guessing it is the transmission.

Any ideas on what problem might be? Can I do the tranny rebuild myself even though I am not a mechanic, but am somewhat mechanically inclined?

my hydro needs purged occationally, just needs the air purged from system, tells it in owners manual to purge system if it gets slow or sluggish, heres how i do mine, the free wheeling lever needs to be engaged, then start engine and move forward control lever slowly forward and back over and over for a few minutes. if you have foot pedal then push pedals in and same with reverse pedal. do that for a bit and see if the improves the motion, if not then look for slipping belt or worn balt, oil or grease on the drive belt.

/ Transmission Problems??? #4  
might also check the "free wheeling" knob and make sure it's not partially in free wheeling mode.

/ Transmission Problems??? #5  
I had a very similar problem with my Craftsman 20hp 42" (DLS 3500). The problem is quite common. I removed the transmission dumped out all of the fluid via the factory fill port. I flushed it with some Marvins Mystery Oil and refilled it with 20w50 synthetic oil. It ha been running like a champ ever since. The job sounds intimidating but it is rather easy and almost enjoyable.

Attachments

• image-2184808387.png
    image-2184808387.png
    765 KB · Views: 942
  • image-2768138925.png
    image-2768138925.png
    914.6 KB · Views: 2,155
   / Transmission Problems??? #6  
I found the lever to my main drive belt idler pulley needed lubrication; the belt never squealed but it was slipping. Also I ground down the bolt head that was preventing my shift lever arm from fully moving rearward and giving me full reverse.