TuffTorq Tranny problems

/ TuffTorq Tranny problems #1  

craftsman1

Tractor
Craftsman 917.28934
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (917.28934) that is 2 years 3 months old. Note the tractor is just 3 months out of warranty. The problem came about today (worked OK when I put it away a week ago). The problem is when backing the tractor up on a level surface it will move slowly. If backing up a slight (< 10 degrees) incline the tractor will not pull it self up the incline. Almost like a slipping clutch. In forward direction the tractor works fine. Lots of power and speed. I have checked all the linkages and cleaned the case to be sure there is nothing interfering with the linkage movement. This mower has 30.1 hours of operating time mowing a medium lawn. No hauling, snow blowing or other hard work on the tractor. The inclines are when backing around trees etc. Mostly flat yard.

Tractor Specs:
22Hp Kohler engine SV620
42" Mower
Tufftorq K46 BT

Any suggestion are really appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq Tranny problems #2  
I would try replacing the fluid in the tranny a first try. There are recommendations for it all over the web. The K46 isn't know as the most durable transmission ever made but with 30hrs on it that's barely used. There is a parts and service phone number for Tuff torq. I'm sure they can help you on this one. At the least though, I'd pull the transaxle and replace the fluid. Tuff torq has service recommendations on their web site last I checked. With pictures even.

Steve

/ TuffTorq Tranny problems
Thanks Steve for the suggestion. Today is a rainy day so good time to work inside.

/ TuffTorq Tranny problems #4  
i had the same problem with mine and it turned out the cruise control (a lever on my right on my JD) was not all the way dis-engaged. It was not on enought to move it forward but it impeded reverse noticeably

good luck

/ TuffTorq Tranny problems
Sears was just here and worked on the tractor. The technician found the bolts (self tappers into the transmission case) holding the transmission from rocking from front to back were gone thus allowing the belt to loosen (slipping belt on the transmission pulley when the clutch was released). The tech replaced the missing bolts with longer bolts (with nuts) that went through the case. Works great now. I purchased the extended warranty assuming I am going to have more problems. ha.

Thanks for your suggestions. All information helps us seniors.