wiring question on GT5000

/ wiring question on GT5000 #1  

jezzter002

Tractor
Craftsman GTS 5000
I am brand new to the site and from what I am reading, I am glad I found it!
I have some questions about my new tractor I have bought. I own a Craftsman Garden Tractor, 26 hp, 54 inch cut, model 917. 28947.

1. I want to hook up some lights for the front and one for the rear. I noticed that the charging system is 20 amps, so what size lights can I get and what should be the watts/amp draw for each.:confused:

2. I would like to hook up a temp guage, volt meter, oil pressure guage (can anyone direct me to a post maybe of how to do this). :confused:

3. I would like to put on a horn, but if I hook up this other stuff will it be a problem?? :confused2:

I saw the post of how to hook up the headlights with the relay, but don't know how much draw the lights will take before it causes problems.

Thank you,
:thumbsup:Jezzter

/ wiring question on GT5000 #2  
Hi. I know this thread is kind of old. You could probably swing 1 55w light in front and 1 in the rear; instructions in the box- just add another switch. JC Whitney has nice inexpensive horns, and compact electric air horns too. The temp gauge and oil pressure gauge will have to come from someone else with more experience with the GT5k

/ wiring question on GT5000 #3  
watts divided by volts = amps so 55/12 = 4.58333 for safety I always round up. figure 5 amp for one with proper wire size I would use 14 gauge stranded for one light.IMO,I likely would go with over kill and use 12 gauge for 2 55 watt lights.
I also would not want to run more then 10 amps (approx Half your charging output) worth of lights at 1 time.partially because I believe your amp/voltage output would be lower at less then full throttle.
if your current lights dim to next to nothing at an idle you have either a duel or a tri circuit alternator. your lighting circuit is possibly a lower amp output then your charging circuit and the two CANNOT be tied/hooked together! on some of the B&S engines the lighting is ac current.
not sure what you were looking at but I would pull power from battery with rely power coming from your ignition switch so lights are not on if it is not running

Last edited:
   / wiring question on GT5000 #4  
next part temp gauge would likely be hard as engine is air cooled.
oil pressure I think can be done with a mechanical gauge, think there is plug on filter housing that it could be hooked to I AM NOT POSITIVE!I not sure I would want that, think it would be Murphy's law waiting to happen!
I believe car horns draw quit a bit of amperage.