Rear axle weight limit?

/ Rear axle weight limit? #1  

Etivancic

Tractor
Craftsman DLS3500
I own a 2007 Craftsman DLS3500 (917.287120)
I just got a 48" Bercomac blower! I can't wait for the snow!
I built a bracket for rear weights but can't find a weight limit anywhere for the rear axle...

I don't want to learn the hard way that I put too much weight on the back!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Rear axle weight limit? #2  
:welcome:
Likely there is a limit. How much weight do you want to put on there?

A hundred pounds? If less than that, you should be ok.

One could believe that it would be designed for a 300 lb person on the seat (don't want to picture that in my mind :D )

But remember it is a Craftsman, and not the high priced line of lawn machines at that.

/ Rear axle weight limit?
I'm looking to put at least 70lbs on the rear. I have a 30lb wheel weight in each rear tire. I weigh 215lbs... I can always liquid fill the rear tires but that sounds like a pain...

/ Rear axle weight limit? #4  
I think the liquid in the tires applies the least amount of load on the transaxle.
Nothing to putting windshield washer fluid in the rear tires. Just lay them down, break a bead and pour it in.

I'd be worried less about the weight on the axles than I would gaining so much traction that the transaxle wouldn't take it. Might be better to get some slippage when under a pushing load.

Very good thoughts.

I think I will do the washing fluid and gradually add weight to the back as needed...

Thanks

/ Rear axle weight limit? #6  
If you are going to use washer fluid I suggest that you calculate the volume that you are going to be putting in. Some basic volumes to weight about 10 LBS / 1 Imperial Gal,
I think 50 to 64 LBS /1 cubic foot , tire volume dia OD 3.14 x r squared x width =
ID 3.14 x r squared x width =
subtract OD - Id = answer should be in cubic inches
This is off the top of my head.
Craig Clayton

I decided to go ahead and put the fluid in the rear tires. It took almost exactly 5 gallons in each tire! I was surprised it held so much. It is only a lawn tractor with relatively small tires...

That give me roughly 100 pounds in the rear without straining the axle! Couple that with the 60 pounds of wheel weights and I may not need any other weight in the rear. It just started snowing so we will see...

It was harder than expected to crack the bead on the tire but once I got the hang of it all went relatively quick...

Thanks.

/ Rear axle weight limit? #8  
I had a '70 Sears SS14 with wheel weights and filled tires plus chains on the rear, that thing was a tank, of course they don't make them like that any more. You should be just fine with wheel weights and filled tires if you have the GT with 12" rear tires.

/ Rear axle weight limit? #9  
I have an older GT5000? that I use to push snow around. What I have on the back is ten car brake rotors that weigh about 40 LBS per. With tire chains and the weight it is almost unstoppable. Too much weight? I don't know but it has been working fine for three years.

Thanks for the input

I ended up putting about 80lbs on the rear weight bracket I made to hold Olympic weights as well. A test run showed it was a little hard to steer. I over inflated the front tires slightly and added the extra weight and it helped a lot! I'm not concerned about stressing the axle with 80lbs. I'm sure it can handle that...

Attachments

• image-1918348010.png
    image-1918348010.png
    857.7 KB · Views: 179