Manual Transmission Fluid Change

/ Manual Transmission Fluid Change #1  

MSLewis

Tractor
Craftsman GT 5000 917.276090
For years, I understood that the transaxle on my mower was not serviceable. I have an 04 GT 5000, 25hp Kohler, 6-speed manual, 54" deck. Now that the tractor is getting along in years (and has served me extremely well), I'm looking more closely at maintenance. I'd like to change out the oil in the transaxle.

Upon inspection, it seems that there is a drain plug. And a fill plug (or at least an inspection plug). My guess is that I can change this stuff out just like the lower unit on an outboard motor - fill from the bottom 'till it comes out the top, then plug it up and roll.

Is that so? Has anyone done this? I've searched the forum and can't find much info.

Further research indicates that this manual tranny takes a 30-weight oil. That seems odd to me (why not 75/90 or some other gear lube?). Can anyone confirm or deny?

/ Manual Transmission Fluid Change
Well, I went ahead and changed the oil. In my transaxle The inspection plug is just above the axle behind the driver's side rear wheel (I know the driver sits in the middle, but you get the idea). The drain plug is at the bottom, of course. Both of these plugs are easily accessed without removing the wheel. The old oil came out clean and looked like it was probably 30 weight, as the books calls for, so that's what I refilled with. After reinstalling the drain plug, I pumped oil into the case until it started to flow out of the inspection hole. Two and a half quarts did the job.

I would really like to know more about this transaxle. I can't find anything online about it, and I can't find any pictures that look like it. The drive pulley is vertical, on the "passenger" side, and the case is split vertically rather than horizontally, unlike the majority of transaxles I have seen. It is definitely meant to be serviceable. Can anyone shine a light on it?

/ Manual Transmission Fluid Change #4  
Hi, I just had to replace the input shaft & pulley on a customers. The pulley was rounded off & the shaft was damaged. I have know idea why that happened. As you probably know, you can go to the Sears site & enter your tractor model number & get the parts breakdown. That transmission is made by AYP. I'll attach a few pics of the repair.
Pics004.jpg

Pics003.jpg

IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Molerj/AYP%20transaxle%20repair/Pics003.jpg[/IMG]
Pics004.jpg

Pics006.jpg

What caused the damage? What is you opinion of this transmission? Strong? Weak?

/ Manual Transmission Fluid Change #6  
What caused the damage?
I have know idea why that happened

What is you opinion of this transmission? Strong? Weak?
Looks like a well made unit, but obviously the pulley was a weak link. If you look up the part number for the pulley, 184788 in any parts place other than Sears, the pn is superceded to another number, 188670, which is called a kit. It includes the pulley AND the input shaft. Tells me there was a problem somewhere along the line.

Pics002.jpg

/ Manual Transmission Fluid Change #7  
Hi, I just had to replace the input shaft & pulley on a customers. The pulley was rounded off & the shaft was damaged. I have know idea why that happened. As you probably know, you can go to the Sears site & enter your tractor model number & get the parts breakdown. That transmission is made by AYP. I'll attach a few pics of the repair.
Pics004.jpg

Pics003.jpg

IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Molerj/AYP%20transaxle%20repair/Pics003.jpg[/IMG]
Pics004.jpg

Pics006.jpg

i had to replace the brake spline shaft assembly in my craftsman, its about the same as an input shaft, mine is a hydrogear hydrostatic. its the shaft where the hydraulic motor goes into the transmision, it has a gear on one end and a splined shaft on the other, stripped the splines out. bought the parts on line, cost around 100 bucks. i have a 1997 craftsman 25 hp, 50 inch deck. its been a great mower, still going strong. but that is the weakest part on the transmision and the one i replaced it with was a lil heavier made.