GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast

/ GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast #1  

Marine JAG

Tractor
Craftsman 5000GT
My GT-5000 started running really fast and won't idle down. The throttle linkage seems to be working. Any ideas? I'm afraid to run the tractor as it sounds like it is over-speeding!

/ GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast #2  
If the choke is stuck partially on it will cause the motor to idle too fast.

/ GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast
I'll check the choke, however, it did seem to still be operating. I should have mentioned that the throttle, although still moving the part it is linked to, has no effect on the engine speed (not even the slightest). Is there a governor on these engines?

I posted a couple pictures to show the part the throttle is still moving (sorry I don't know the name of the part). Notice the other hole on this part? Is there suppose to be something else linked there? Like I mentioned, the throttle control moves this part completely (as shown in the two photos) with no effect on the high engine speed.

Attachments

• Tractor 2.jpg
    Tractor 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Tractor 3.jpg
    Tractor 3.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2,528
   / GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast #5  
Check the nut securing the governor lever arm.

Attachments

• Intek.V-Twin.Governor.pdf
    560 KB · Views: 9,251

Great Info!! Thank you for the file. This should get me going down the right path! :)

OK... Tried that and it didn't work (I even tried the adjustment on page 15 of the attachment). What I did notice (with the help of my wife moving the throttle control) is that the collaborator throttle lever (page 16 of the attachment) does not seem to be moving. I will try and post a video of the movement.

/ GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast #9  
Well it's definitely overspeeding. If the governor arm is not pulling the throttle closed when you start it, and all the linkages are present and free to move, ( which it appears they are ) then the next culprit is the governor assembly itself which requires splitting the motor case in two..... I have had to do mine twice but for different reasons than yours.

Please go back and check your adjustment of the governor arm. If you get your clockwise, counterclockwise mixed up, it will cause the motor to race like yours.

/ GT-5000 won't idle and sounds like running too fast #10  
I once had the butterfly come loose (attachment screws came loose) from it's shaft in the throat of the carb. Linkage still worked, but the engine had one speed - too d**n fast. The thing was basically wide open throttle 100% of the time.