Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

/ Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start #1  

Mike Costello

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400HST, R4 tires, L2228 Quick-attach setup
I have a Craftsman LT 1000 mower with a B&S I/C twin 21 horse engine. I shut it off to take a break, and about 20 minutes later no start. Suddenly, it's getting no spark. It cranks OK. Checked all the usual things such as seat switch, fuel, etc. and all look good. This mower has been a workhorse with no problems at all. Always starts no matter what--but not this time. Anyone have any ideas?

/ Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start #2  
Not other than tracing back where the spark needs to be coming from. Some voltage checks to verify the circuits are open/closed to make it work.
Chasing down a wiring diagram may be the first order of business. Maybe Sears will have one available (online? ).

/ Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start #3  
I would disconnect the kill wire at the engine. See if I have fire and trouble shoot from there. A schematic would help.

Jim

/ Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start #4  
A stuck safety switch somewhere, under seat, pto, etc. ??? MikeD74T

/ Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start
Well, solved the problem today. It was the magneto or magnatron as Briggs & Stratton calls it. All wiring and switches checked out Ok, however no spark to both plugs. That pretty much left the magneto as the cause. Installed a new unit and she fired right up. Thanks for all the help, Mike.