Briggs Fuel Pump Problem 19.5 HP

/ Briggs Fuel Pump Problem 19.5 HP #1  

monsterdad1

Tractor
New Holland TC33
I have a late 90's craftsman mower with the original briggs 19.5 hp twin engine. Had an intermittent no start/rough running condition so I replaced plugs, fuel filter, fuel and vacuum lines. Condition still existed and I replaced coil and cleaned flywheel. Tractor was running, but surging a lot. I rebuilt carb and fuel pump. Fuel pump will now not draw fuel through the gas line. I replaced fuel pump body and installed another pump kit. Still no vacuum from fuel side of pump. I temporarily ran a clear fuel line to an auxilary fuel source to visually verify that gas was not going into pump. I can feel the vacuum from the vacuum line when turning engine over, but there is no vacuum at fuel port when vacuum line is attached. I've looked at the parts diagram and am 95% sure that the pump is installed correctly. Note: Engine runs when gas is poured in the carburetor. I don't know what to do next and would appreciate any ideas.

Briggs Model No. 42E707 type 2631-E1

Last edited:
   / Briggs Fuel Pump Problem 19.5 HP #2  
Did you replace or rebuild the fuel pump? There is a sintered brass air filter on the back of the fuel pump that has to flow air for it to work. I had a problem with surging until I clean the brass and now it's gone.

/ Briggs Fuel Pump Problem 19.5 HP
The pump is integrated into the carb, so it must be rebuilt. Cannot see any brass in pump, but did run a wire through all openings the last time I had it apart.