Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth?

/ Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Ok, so I got convinced to buy a tractor and all its attachments, sight unseen. I know that makes me a knucklehead.

It is a Craftsman II 18HP, I think the removable mowing deck is 46" (3 blades). I have the following attachments...

Front Blade (snow plow?)
Rear blade (with rakes)
single bottom plow
discs
Jake Rake (big red rake for gravel drive maintenance)
trailer hitch with 1 7/8" ball

I think there might be a couple other parts he still needs to bring over also.

I have the tractor tire on it, and 59lb weights on the rear wheels. The turf tires are unused and in like new condition.

It starts and runs, and it cuts grass just fine.

I have all the manuals also, including for the attchments.

I am not sure it will work for what I need to do, so I am considering selling or trading it in. BUt I am also afraid I got took and may have overpaid for what I ended up getting.

So... What's it worth? It is a keeper, or do I dump it asap?
Please advise.

Have a great day and weekend.

/ Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #2  
Is this for your 51 acres in Virginia? I wouldn't get rid of the mower, but I would most likely just use it as a mower. Store the rest of the stuff, nice and dry, and maybe it will be an expensive antique someday :eek: but no harm trying and re-sell it, either.

As to what's it worth.... only what someone is willing to pay for it. :p

Got photos of it? (my standard question :laughing:) but to see what condition it is in.

Sounds like you'll need a much larger tractor for trying to reclaim land. Other option, is just to hire that part out. What size stumps are in the cut over area?

/ Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth?
teg,

Yes it is for the 51 acres (I live on it).

I have an EXCELLENT John Deere LX266 (16hp) and a Toro mulching fwd push mower.

I really boughtit for the attachments. I have a LOOOOONGGGG and steep gravel drive for one.

Thearea I had logged for pasture has mixed sizes. many are les than 12" but there are a few that are closer to 24"+. right now I am considering renting a track hoe and popping stumps myself.

Money has been tight, right after I bough this property I lost my contract and have just recently went back to being an employee (less pay, no say, etc...). I logged in Nov, and now it is a MESS of new growth, slag, stumps and etc....

/ Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #4  
We rented a track hoe, and the first question they ask was what we were planning to do with it :confused::confused2: It was to tear down a barn and they said fine. They said that they don't rent track hoes out for digging up stumps and that they rent stump grinders for that!!! We kept our mouth shut since right after the barn was done we were removing several small stumps!!! :p:laughing::ashamed:

We are getting side tracked and you should start a thread about what you actually need for your property so that this thread will stay on track with the Craftsman.

What year model is the mower? The Craftsman can actually do a good deal of work, such as grading, it's just a whole lot slower.

We are getting side tracked and you should start a thread about what you actually need for your property so that this thread will stay on track with the Craftsman.

teg,

Well we solved that side track question about what great big tractor I needed. :)

In the end, after the Bobcat guy said he thought I should try to sell it for $600 (I was asked to pay $1500 for it by my buddy's father in law).

Well I decided to ask him to come and get the Craftsman because I was buying a real tractor.

So we very effectively solved this problem didn't we! :laughing::D

David

Last edited:
   / Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #6  
teg,...we very effectively solved this problem didn't we!
David, that's good you didn't have to eat the Craftman (I assume?). 142 post in one month... I'd say you had a question or two to straighten out :laughing: :thumbsup: I'm not sure if you know the rule... you must show photos of the tractor once you get it... if hurricane Irene will allow it to be delivered! I would not be planning on getting much sleep over the next few days. Worst then kids at Christmas :D

David, that's good you didn't have to eat the Craftman (I assume?). 142 post in one month... I'd say you had a question or two to straighten out :laughing: :thumbsup: I'm not sure if you know the rule... you must show photos of the tractor once you get it... if hurricane Irene will allow it to be delivered! I would not be planning on getting much sleep over the next few days. Worst then kids at Christmas :D

teg,

Check the dates, 8/11 or 12 was my FIRST DAY and FIRST POST. 143 posts in 2 weeks!

I think in done JUMPED IN IT here on TBN...

I will happily post pics of the tractor, but so far I can only post on my sig or profile. I keep all my pics on my PC, not on the web and I can;t figure out how to post to TBN... I was trying on a chainsaw thread a short while ago...

We got hammered with a serious thunderstorm a couple hours ago, and Irene is not even here yet! OOF!

Tractor is delayed until Tuesday soonest it seems, some of he hydraulic parts had to be shipped in...

Also, my buddy promised me I could back out of the craftsman if it would not work for me. he is a good buddy...

David

Last edited:
   / Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #8  
If you can find the photos on your computer... :D You can upload them to TBN :thumbsup: Below the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons, down in the Additional Options section, 2nd part, "Attached Files", click on "Manage Attachments" a new window opens... if you need more help, just ask ;)

If you can find the photos on your computer... :D You can upload them to TBN :thumbsup: Below the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons, down in the Additional Options section, 2nd part, "Attached Files", click on "Manage Attachments" a new window opens... if you need more help, just ask ;)

teg,

[facepalm] Soon as I turned on popups, everything made sense (I had also turned off the annoying popup warning bar) I thought the programmer had screwed up the visual basic code for the paperclip (attach). But no, this computer geek and configured myself into the problem...

Here ya go! This is Me (having fun) heh heh heh... :D

David

Attachments

• DBM-Grrr.JPG
    DBM-Grrr.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 494
   / Older Craftsman II 18HP with many attachments - What's it worth? #10  
Ok, so I got convinced to buy a tractor and all its attachments, sight unseen. I know that makes me a knucklehead.

It is a Craftsman II 18HP, I think the removable mowing deck is 46" (3 blades). I have the following attachments...

Front Blade (snow plow?)
Rear blade (with rakes)
single bottom plow
discs
Jake Rake (big red rake for gravel drive maintenance)
trailer hitch with 1 7/8" ball

I think there might be a couple other parts he still needs to bring over also.

I have the tractor tire on it, and 59lb weights on the rear wheels. The turf tires are unused and in like new condition.

It starts and runs, and it cuts grass just fine.

I have all the manuals also, including for the attchments.

I am not sure it will work for what I need to do, so I am considering selling or trading it in. BUt I am also afraid I got took and may have overpaid for what I ended up getting.

So... What's it worth? It is a keeper, or do I dump it asap?
Please advise.

Have a great day and weekend.

I paid $1800 for one, brand new in 1989. I see them all the time around here for $500 or so, with attachments. They are tough little buggers. Mine is still running after years of hard use.