Hydrostatic transmission adjustment

/ Hydrostatic transmission adjustment #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I inherited a Craftsman DYT 4000 with a 18.5 HP Briggs. It is a very good machine with only about 100 hours on it. It has an automatic (hydrostatic) transmission with the speed and directional control lever on the right fender as opposed to the foot pedals. The Sears # is 917-273642.
My problem is when the lever is in the Neutral Position, the tractor wants to "creep" backwards. I hope there is some adjustment because I want to keep the mower. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks
Leo

/ Hydrostatic transmission adjustment #2  
What I usually do is disconnect the linkage that goes to the transmission and then start the mower. the hydro will self center. then shut the mower off and then adjust the linkage to match up where you unhooked it, and it should stop creeping. I have seen some mowers that would creep and you could move the directional control slightly to stop the creep and then move back to neutral and it will stay still. this is due to slack in the control linkages.

/ Hydrostatic transmission adjustment
Randy:
Thanks for the information. I will give this a try this weekend and let you know how it works out.

Leo

/ Hydrostatic transmission adjustment
Randy:
Finally got around to adjusting the Hydro "Creep". I moved the directional "lever" slightly back and forth to find the true "neutral", then shut the engine off and loosened the jam nut (bolt) (just above the rear tire) holding the directional lever in place. I moved the directional lever back to the "neutral" setting on the fender of the tractor, tightened the nut and all is well. Thanks so much for your help.

Leo