Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward?

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I'm one who actually likes Sears. They usually (not always, but most of the time) have what I'm looking for at what I'd consider reasonable prices. And I like the fact that they have a service department, at least for appliances.

But I don't see a lot of customers in our local stores. And maybe here's why. I prefer seeing a product before buying, and I recently saw this MoJack MJEZ 300-Pound Lift For Tractors And Zero Turn Lawn Mowers in the nearest Sears store. That looked like a great idea, but a bit expensive for my use. But then later, I got to looking on the Internet and found that [ame=http://www.amazon.com/MoJack-MJEZ-300-Pound-Tractors-Mowers/dp/B00332FB9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333901776&sr=8-1]Amazon.com[/ame] has the identical model number for $133.63 less money, and since there's no sales tax, that's another $30.

Now I'd prefer buying from Sears, but for the price difference . . . well, I just ordered it from Amazon.

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #2  
Sears lost me years ago. I don't consider Craftsman product to be on the upper end of qualiity, or worth what they cost. Their are too many other choices out there with better support and not in a mall. I still walk into the store when I'm looking for something, but 9 times out of ten, regret going there.

I will admit that when I was looking for a washer and dryer two years ago, they had the best price. But since then, I've looked at flat screen's, digital cameras, vacuum cleaners and microwaves, plus some tools without buying anything.

I don't miss Wards, and I'm sure that I wont miss Sears if they go away.

Eddie

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #3  
Don't shop there but hate to see an American institution going away.

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #4  
Sears lost me when I was at the register and my card was declined... it has never happened to me...

Had the card since I was 18 and they had just sent me the new card as they did every couple of years...

I called in to say I had received it and destroyed the old one and was told I was good to go.

Went to buy some tires and a refrigerator that were on sale... I left with neither, even though I had another card I could have used.

I still have their lifetime garden hoses and a lot of sears purchased items around the home.

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #5  
They lost me when they were charging 24% interest on their charges. Wouldn't hurt me a bit if they went by fat sam

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward?
They lost me when they were charging 24% interest on their charges. Wouldn't hurt me a bit if they went by fat sam

Yep, that would hurt, but the last time I paid Sears any interest charges was in 1963-64, so I have no idea what they charge.:laughing:

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #7  
I used to get all my hand tools and power tools there, but now I don't have any particular favorites for power tools, and the hand tools I lose faster than I can buy them so I just get the free promotional hand tools from Menards. I would go back for appliances because at least it is easy to get parts for their things usually.

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #8  
I'm one who actually likes Sears. They usually (not always, but most of the time) have what I'm looking for at what I'd consider reasonable prices. And I like the fact that they have a service department, at least for appliances.

But I don't see a lot of customers in our local stores. And maybe here's why. I prefer seeing a product before buying, and I recently saw this MoJack MJEZ 300-Pound Lift For Tractors And Zero Turn Lawn Mowers in the nearest Sears store. That looked like a great idea, but a bit expensive for my use. But then later, I got to looking on the Internet and found that Amazon.com has the identical model number for $133.63 less money, and since there's no sales tax, that's another $30.

Now I'd prefer buying from Sears, but for the price difference . . . well, I just ordered it from Amazon.

how does that work? looks like it will only lift front end or backend but not whole tractor

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward? #9  
In recent years my impression of Sears is that it's more interested in selling credit cards than merchandise.

/ Is Sears Going The Way of Montgomery Ward?
how does that work? looks like it will only lift front end or backend but not whole tractor

That's right. The one on display at Sears had the front of a mower up and that's really all I need. I have a farm jack and I raised the front end of the mower day before yesterday to remove the blade for sharpening and to clean the bottom of the deck, and I guess it would be more sensible to save my money and just do that. But with that one jack near the middle of the front of the mower, it's a bit unstable and I'd hate to have it fall on me. And unfortunately, I'm also at an age that it's difficult for me to get up off the ground unless I have something I can get hold of to help pull myself up and that farm jack doesn't hold things steady enough for that.