Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over?

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I have a problem with a Craftsman mower with a B&S 18 hp motor. I put a new solenoid and starter on, it doesnt want to start. It turns over very slowly. Plenty of oil, but the battery is dead. I have been trying to jump start it with a battery charger. Is the engine simply shot? I really don't understand why it doesn't start.

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #2  
Do you have one cylinder or two. Does it start to turn over and then stop, and maybe sometimes tries to kick back. Could need the valve clearances adjusted. Compression release on camshaft could be broke, lower likelihood though.

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over?
Do you have one cylinder or two. Does it start to turn over and then stop, and maybe sometimes tries to kick back. Could need the valve clearances adjusted. Compression release on camshaft could be broke, lower likelihood though.

It's a twin, I pulled both plugs, it seemed to be a little stiff, but I could turn it with one hand on the wrench. It turns very slowly, only moveing a little bit. The starter makes a bunch of noise, it seems like it is trying, but it can't get it turning. I know it sounds weird, but I am thinking of replacing the battery, maybe it is shorted internally, or ???

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #5  
Sounds like you need to rebuild starter

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #7  
I would disconnect the dead tractor battery and jump it directly from your car battery.

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #8  
Fought that problem for years, valve adjustment. believe it or not. Swapped out batteries, starter solenoids, and starters. (still have a new one in the box, they don't take them back) Adjust the valves, and adjust them next year too. A new fresh battery may make it roll over, and your starter solenoid may be burnt now, from the excessive starter current drawn trying to break the engine over top dead center. And replacing that may make it start, but the root problem remains, valve timing and operation of the compression release mechanism. Known Briggs OHV problem.

James K0UA

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #9  
99% of hard starting on B&S ohv engines is valve adjustment, you can do it in 30 minutes the first time and 15 the next, very simple.;)

/ Craftsman 18 hp hard to turn over? #10  
Is your engine an OHV engine which has easily adjustable valve or the old L head engine which does not?