What can I do with my tractor? And what tires?

/ What can I do with my tractor? And what tires? #1  

Susanjoyce

Bronze Member
Tractor
Craftsman
I have an old Craftsman lawn tractor, 22.5 hp, 50" deck, with a ball hitch on the rear.

1). Besides mowing, what can I use this for? Can a machine this size do any harrowing, plowing, etc? I never seem to see any drag behind type accessories on Craig's List. I do pull a great 10' wagon The Old Guy Across The Road sold me.

2) I've got hills. Steep hills. I can't even get up from the garden to the back yard (one long slope.) Additionally, the horse pastures are filled with pasture apples and pits from hooves. I'm convinced that my tractor is going to tip and land pretty side down. My mechanic said, "If it hasn't rolled over yet, it's not going to. Just be careful.". The Old Guy Across The Road said, "****, that thang won't roll. Just be careful.". So what is careful on hills? After reading some, I think I want lug tread tires. The tire shop guy said to put them only on the rear tires. I'm paranoid; I want them on the front, too. Is this okay?How about chains? Wheel weights seem to cost a fortune; can I improvise something else? (I have duct tape and I'm not afraid to use it).

Thanks for your patience in helping a (tractor and site) newbie!

/ What can I do with my tractor? And what tires? #2  
I think youll do best with Bar/Ag tires on rear. Assuming 2 wheel drive, any side aggressive tread should work well for the front. This could be rib or knobby. Turf tread may not be good enuf for reliable steering. Loading the tires will help traction and stability. If you can park the tractor indoors in winter, then weight can be as inexpensive as water.
larry

/ What can I do with my tractor? And what tires? #3  
Get chains instead of lugs. Much better traction IMO.... But, chains and lugs will NOT prevent you from tipping. Mowers are rated at 15 degrees with true tipping around 20. Make yourself a guage, or take a metered level and find out what your slopes are really rated at. If you are 15 or greater stay off the slopes. Oh, why the 5 degrees difference? because of uneveness, you can usually see more than a 5 degree difference so they figure if you see a 25 degree depression on a 15 degree slope you will go around / avoid but you are less likely to see a 5 degree difference

As for what it can do, I have seen powered tillers, front blades, a small bucket and landscape drags on the net for them, but nothng serisously ground engaging...

Carl