High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel?

/ High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel? #1  

SandyTX

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300
So I've had this trimmer from Sears a little over a year now.
6.75 Torque Rating 22 in. High Wheel Trimmer 49 States- Craftsman-Lawn & Garden-Handheld Power Tools-Line Trimmers

While I mostly use in in areas where the tractor/shredder will not fit (dry creek bed and by the fence); it is hard to operate for extended periods of time.

I've been looking for a front wheel kit of somesort that will mount onto the front of the trimmer and provide a front wheel of some sort for ease of pushing.

I have not located one; but may try to rig something up. Any thoughts or any one done this before?

Updated Title.

Attachments

• frontwheel.jpg
    frontwheel.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 655
   / High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel? #2  
Can we get a picture with the front plastic cowling off?

It looks like one option would be to mount some tube to the plate the engine is bolted to.

Let see what the front end looks like first. I can draw something up and send it back to you if you like.

/ High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel? #3  
So I've had this trimmer from Sears a little over a year now.
6.75 Torque Rating 22 in. High Wheel Trimmer 49 States- Craftsman-Lawn & Garden-Handheld Power Tools-Line Trimmers

While I mostly use in in areas where the tractor/shredder will not fit (dry creek bed and by the fence); it is hard to operate for extended periods of time.

I've been looking for a front wheel kit of somesort that will mount onto the front of the trimmer and provide a front wheel of some sort for ease of pushing.

I have not located one; but may try to rig something up. Any thoughts or any one done this before?

Updated Title.

We have one very similar but a lot older that is used around the pond, the house, trees, etc. It is tiring after a while but not nearly as much as a regular weed whacker that you hold with 2 hands and swing.
The front area in question, by JWink, is where the drive belt operates.
It would be worth thinking about some type of front wheel, but I'm afraid it would just get the weeds being cut caught up in it, unless it were quite a bit in front of the spinning cords and make it more difficult to get close and around objects. The handle height is quite adjustable, and pulling it backwards is really much less effort than pushing it forward.
For pushing, an old 22" push power mower with modified wheels is much less tiring. At least that's what my wife likes:thumbsup:

/ High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel? #4  
Do you have to popo the machines spool on the ground to get more string out?

/ High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel?

No, it uses string/line/cable that you replace once it breaks. Depending on what I'm cutting with it; it will last 10-30 minutes before I have to replace them.

Much cheaper also if you buy the line on a big spool and cut it to length yourself than purchasing the precut strings.

/ High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel?
Can we get a picture with the front plastic cowling off?

It looks like one option would be to mount some tube to the plate the engine is bolted to.

Let see what the front end looks like first. I can draw something up and send it back to you if you like.

I'm not close to the machine now (its at the farm). But I found a diagram online with the plastic cover removed. Looks like it would be pretty easy to weld on a piece of angle and run it forward about a foot ( to keep it out of range of the string ) and then mount up a pivoting front knobby tire of some sort. Thank You.

Attachments

• shroud removed.png
    shroud removed.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 402
   / High Wheel Trimmer -adding front wheel? #7  

These machines are heavy duty. The string is cut to length from a roll and hooks in the head by a very simple procedure.
There is a ball type shoe, at least on the old one I have, which acts as the front contact point.
The center of balance, over the rear wheels, gets off a bit when going up or down hills, which is creating the OP's problem.

Last edited: