How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors?

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #21  
Let's just say they're pretty decent for a "lawn" mower. I've had two, both were reliable and mowed well on my residential properties. When I acquired a home with 2 acres, I quickly learned why people bought John Deere mowers. The construction difference is huge. Mowing acreage with a Craftsman was like taking a beating, while I could almost take a nap on the JD.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #22  
At one time, when sears sold sears tractors, they were tough as nails. These old gt's such as the suburbans, customs, ss's, etc, are still found quite regularly on CL and often quite affordable. Many 40-50 years old and still working hard, some daily workers. As time went on they changed. Keeping the legendary 6 speed hi-lo tranny up until the mid 90's I believe. Those dark grey and dark green square hoods were the last of the good gt's from craftsman that id buy as a workhorse. If your only going to use it to mow, then a newer one will serve the need, but im not a big fan of the new offerings from sears/craftsman.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #23  
My Craftsman GT6000, purchased January of 1994, was just retired. The trans-axle was damaged and I decided to go for a new Craftsman zero turn mower. The trans axle bracket broke and allowed the shift handle to jam against the body of the mower. This stripped second gear. I repaired the bracket and used 3rd gear in the low range. This worked for 2 months to end the season.
The GT6000 was used for lawn maintenance, pulling carts of wood and mulch, and plowing snow from my driveway and occasionally from my side street that was ignored by the county plows. It was a Kohler 18 hp that was running the day the GT6000 left.
Sears has been great to me in previous warranty issues with other products.
The Craftsman zero turn I bought is a Cub Cadet RZT 54 KH painted red. I have 9 hours on it and I am glad I got it.
I know Craftsman are made by MTD, Husquvarna and others. I have used Craftsman chipper shredders, weed eaters and have been pleased with the durability.
I shopped others before I bought the Craftsman this time but I was disappointed in the response of the sales people when I asked questions. I decided that I was not getting any special expertise by going to a local dealer for Cub Cadet or Toro.
I am just over an acre. I did not see any benefit to spending 4 to 5 thousand dollars for the machines the local shops were pushing.
I believe the Craftsman deliver for the money.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #24  
I bought a YT5400 in 2006 when we moved from a small city lot out into the country with a 2 acre yard and many trails on our 20 acre plot. I bought the Craftsman because it was the best deal I could find on a 54" deck and I had a limited budget with the new house. I figured if it lasted three years I would be doing good. Well, I have beat the snot out that tractor hoping it will die some day so I can get a zero turn. No such luck after seven years of yard mowing, trail mowing and food plot mowing. I do regular maint and recently had to repair a weld on the mower deck. My guess is the weld broke after my 11 y/o daughter hit something mowing.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #25  
I have to agree after buying these usually last about 5 years then start having problems then buy another one.
As usual, you get what you pay for.

Craftsman is one of the many generic lawnmowers out there that I consider to be more or less disposable. This type of lawn mower is fine for it's intended purpose. It will mow grass and probably work fine for several years, but after 5-10 years the plastic parts will start wearing out and it's not worth fixing. If that's what you're looking for, then Craftsman is probably just as good as any other. You can run it into the ground, wear it out, get your use out of it, and then throw it away and buy a new one for not very much money.

If you're looking for more of a long term investment, look at Simplicity, Cub Cadet, John Deere, or something along those lines (Not the ones sold in big box stores) Name brands like these have a lot higher quality, and you'll be a lot more likely to fix them over the years and keep them longer, but you'll also pay the price for them.

It just depends on what you want.

There's nothing wrong with using disposable razors.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #26  
My craftsman gt5000 6-spd is about 7 years old, I have used it to mow our 2.5 A lot where we eventually built a home (thought I'd eventually add a sleeve hitch and drag a blade or harrow). The land was rough, a wheat field turned development. I've replaced several mandrels but that's it. Bought a JD 2305 a few years ago, but leave the 60" deck off and use it for the FEL and grader/box blade cuz the Sears unit does a good job. When it dies, I'll probably replace it with a ztr though, as I don't need it for any ground-engaging attachments.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #27  
I need somebody to tell me disable or fix the safety start clutch pedal. You push the pedal in start the
machine realest the pedal the machine dies ether fix it or disable it I can't find the wire or switch. And
I don't have the model # it's Craftsman 19HP in fair condition. Does anybody know were the mod. # is
located or which wire to cut. Buying a new one is not an option Gasnutte

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #28  
the model number is usually under the seat.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #29  
Craftsman and most mowers are made by MTD which in turn is owned I believe by Toro.
The unfortunate thing is while basically the same machines there is very little part number cross reference but the actual same repair parts can vary wildly in price so I strongly suggest to purchase from a local small yard equipment dealer that has a good service reputation.

/ How reliable and durable are Craftsman Lawn tractors? #30  
I will be buying a new lawn tractor to replace my 8hp Snapper RER which is 28 years old and just went bad on me. I guess I should not complain :). My price range is $1500-$2000. My lawn is 3/4 acre and basically flat. Up to this point, I have not considered the Craftsman lawn tractors because I always heard homeowners say they had a lot of problems with them in the past. Could you guys talk about the reliability and durability of these products? What suggestions/input can anyone give me on this matter? Has anyone experienced any reliability/durability problems with this brand as a whole? How has anyone found Craftsman manufacturer/retail support in the event of a problem? Who makes Craftsman lawn tractors and are they basically the same as Husqvarna tractors? Does anyone know anything about Columbia lawn tractors? Thanks for your help!

I purchased a Sears Craftsman Lawn Mower Model# 288583 in October of 2013. I use it once a week in the summer and once a month in the winter. It is stored in a garage and we mow 3/4 to 1 acre when it is used. The seat has a rip in it. I don't understand how with the type of usage and the storage this could be. The seat should last at least 10 years on this item. They charge $150.00 for a seat. I am pretty upset by this. Craftsman use to stand for quality but now I think it means "good luck"!