Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Sears Craftsman

Default Craftsman Tractor Blades

Just purchased new blades for my Craftsman Tractor. My question is should the new blades have quite a sharpe cutting edge from new? The reason I ask is that these new blades have a fairly blunt cutting edge. Do I have to sharpen them somewhat myself before using? Thanks

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Default Re: Craftsman Tractor Blades

Mower blades should have the approximate sharpness of a butter knife. You can sharpen them more, but they will dull to the "butter knife" profile very quickly.

Tractor
    Sears Craftsman

Thanks for the input. These blades are much blunter than the butter knife edge you refer to. I will likely give them a try once our lawn dries up enough. I may end up having to give them somewhat of a sharpening.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200 w/LA524 FEL, Loaded rear tires, LP RCR 1860 5' Cutter, LP RTA 1258 5' Tiller, LP PFL 2042 Pallet Forks w/60" Extensions

To the TBN forum Dougbthom. Glad you joined us here. The blades used on my Craftsman riding mower have always been dull even if I get them from Sears with the Craftsman name on them or elsewhere with the actual OEM name on them.
    US Air Force Retired (1966-1988) ... mike

Tractor
    Sears Craftsman

Thanks for the welcome. Do you normally sharpen up the new blades before you use them? That's the point I'm at now. A fellow at the place where I purchased the new blades told me that it's not a good thing to have the blades razor sharpe as they will do damage to the lawn!

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbthom View Post
    A fellow at the place where I purchased the new blades told me that it's not a good thing to have the blades razor sharpe as they will do damage to the lawn!
    I need to have this explained to me.

Super dull blade tears the leaf instead of slices, leaving a shaggy cut and brown tips. Too sharp will just become dull again quick, as mentioned previously above, but "damage the lawn"?

Tractor
    Ford 3910, JD 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606

Yeah, the "fellow at the place" has it backwards. I keep all my blades sharp, even the rotary cutter and flail. Makes for a nicer cut and takes less power. I can tell right away when the ZTR blades are getting dull. I start smelling burning rubber belts and hear the engine struggling in high grass.

You wouldn't dare run your finger along the edges of my blades. But... I don't sharpen mine like a knife; more like a chisel. The bottom side always stays flat.

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I keep all my blades sharp, even the rotary cutter and flail. Makes for a nicer cut and takes less power.

But... I don't sharpen mine like a knife; more like a chisel. The bottom side always stays flat.
    We could really start a long discussion here. I've always heard that rotary cutter blades should be kept dull, so they "batter and shatter" the larger plants. Leaves less chance they will puncture a tire or foot and makes them less likely to sprout again. Not sure it's all that important one way or another.

Definitely agree to sharpen only one side. I only do the bottom side after I hit a rock or something.

Tractor
    Ford 3910, JD 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606

Yeah, I agree but I mostly cut high grass and weeds with my rotary. Any shrubs or low/broken branches on Mesquite trees still get turned it chips. 80-90% of what I keep cut is open field so a sharp blade works better for me. Whatever works best for you should be used.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H

This is from John Deere:

A narrower cutting edge can be damaged more easily and will get more nicks during use. When finished, the blade should have a 1/64 inch (.40mm) cutting edge.
    Answer
    Vets helping Vets: Veterans Benefit Network - http://vets.yuku.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast