Tractor
    Craftsman DGS6500

Default Front Tires Toed Out

I have a model 917.287462 (DGS6500) and while cutting the lawn on Saturday, I went to make a right turn and the tires toed out by a lot. I noticed the last cutting the left tire pointing a bit left, while the right tire was failrly straight. I also noticed the steering wheel no longer being centered...made me think of a bad alignment job.

After inspection, I noticed both the right and left spindles that go though the tube on the axle were not seated properly. There was a ton of play in the tires. I removed the red grease cap and found some sort of plastic sleeve cracked in half vertically, and also cracked horizontally. Found this on both sides. The mover was purchased in 2007, so they are originla parts.

I reviewed the parts diagram for steering and don't see any sleeve per se. Anybody know what I might be looking at? I'm not sure if the the thrust harden bearing...or something like that.

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Default Re: Front Tires Toed Out

Pictures would be nice, but I'm thinking maybe bushings, perhaps nylon? Compare the pieces to see if the cracks are identical as in needed for reasons of installation or grease passages.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Tractor
    Craftsman DGS6500

After going around and around with Sears parts, I've decided to call a tech out. It appears that nobody at Sears has a clue as to what I'm referring to, even after providing a picture. I know it's a simple fix, but without the correct parts, difficult to do. Oh well...the grass will need cutting at some point...once the heat departs and the grass decides to grow again.

Tractor
    Craftsman DGS6500

Sears came out today. Need a new axle and right spindle. The hole wore out....oblonged. Tried to tell me it was due to not greasing it. Told him think again...I'm religious about greasing twice a year.

just read this, maybe this will help someone else out, saved this several years ago.
    front axle kinpin bushings # 406013 $2.16 sears