Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #1  

JD435Bill

Bronze Member
Tractor
'59 John Deere 435
I have a 13.5 Horse Craftsman Lawn Tractor (about a mid 90's model). It starts fine and runs fine, but when I start to let the Clutch out, it cuts off the engine. Also cuts off when I go to engage the Mower Blade (with the Manual type lever).

Ran fine till just yesterday. I would say that I have some kind of Safety Switch problem, but just wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this type of problem and I'm trying to find out what would be the best way to fix it. Electrical problems are not my specialty, lol. I don't mind at all to just bypass it, if fixing it the factory way would be more trouble than it's worth.

Any info would be appreciated.

The Model No is: 917.270430

Bill

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #2  
Mine 1998 model will do that if seat switch is not engaged/working. Clutch in by-passes seat switch, need to be sitting down switch engaged to engage mower deck. Don't try to by-pass the seat switch with jumper wire, I tried it with mine as soon as it started and tried to move it blew the main fuse.

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor
I was thinking that it could be the Seat Switch too, but mine can stay running with the Seat Switch on or off (as long as the Blade in not engaged). Right now the Clutch is killing the engine even with the Blade not engaged.

Bill

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #4  
Mine was doing that and I fixed it by changing the fuel filter.

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor
Someone mentioned Battery on another board. Out of co-incidence, before I even read that, I put a brand new battery in it today and it ran fine. Not sure if it was actually the Battery or dirt on a Lower Switch or a Seat Switch that decided to work again, but I guess time will tell. If it doesn't act up again, it could have very well just been the battery, although the way it was cutting out, that would be hard to believe. But, the battery I took out was over 7 years old. ??

Appreciate all the help.

Bill

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #6  
i have craftman 22hp kohler engine 50"cut thing is, it will run an good 2hour then will cutoff the battery dead have too jump it off I thank the pto has something to do with it or wires .iput a test the on the pto wire it will light up on hot and ground ............lou69bart Help!

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #7  
My Craftsman Lawn Tractor was cutting out too while I was mowing but as soon as I pushed in the clutch it would straighten out a little but then cut out as soon as I tried to mow. ... I remembered that a week or so before, I had mowed after filling with gas but had forgot to put the gas cap back on. ... It had grass and debris on the tank. ... I looked inside the tank and sure enough it had grass inside the tank and it covered the outlet and was stopping the gas from free flowing. ... After I took the tank off and cleaned it out it has been great ever since. ... Hope this helps.

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #8  
My Craftsman (AYP) 42"/Briggs lawn tractor began dying as noted above. New filter helped some, but problem continued. Found that the air valve in center of fuel cap is partly stopped up and after loosening the gas cap, engine works OK. Have to get to parts store and get new cap if i can't find replacement air valve there. My Homelite backpack blower is doing the same thing now and loosened cap has worked. Not safe with cap loose, though. Strictly short term-finish the patio fix

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #9  
I have to agree with owconner's experience. I have had Briggs engines on a generators, log splitter and Craftsman lawn mowers cut out intermittantly, usually as they came under load. It turned out in all cases that the fuel cap was not venting enough air into the tank. Cracking the fuel fill cap is an easy check.

/ Engine Cutting Out on Craftsman Lawn Tractor #10  
Governor should kick in when you engage the clutch or drop the hammer on the mower.If it doesn't,the engine can die.Just a thought. don-ohio :)^)