Craftsman LT1000 - change speed while riding? Also... rear differential upgrade?

/ Craftsman LT1000 - change speed while riding? Also... rear differential upgrade? #1  

IlChengis

Tractor
Craftsman LT1000
Hey Guys,
Last year I bought an LT1000 (917.272650) from my friend. It's in great shape, well kept.

The speed lever on the right has always been hard to move while riding the mower, so I have been putting my foot on the brake and stopping the mower everytime I have to change speed.
Is that normal? I would think I should be able to change speed on the fly while mowing, no? It sure would make my mowing sessions more efficient.
I wonder if I have to spray some lubricant somewhere. I looked over the manual and I didn't see any mention of transmission/differential fluid change, but I do see a pumpkin between the rear wheels and it looks like it is serviceable. I'd love to change the fluid, if that's the case.

Last but not least... is there some sort of "gearbox upgrade" that would allow me to get a limited slip differential? I ask because right now it seems like it has an open differential, the tire with least traction gets all the power. I'd like to change this, if it's possible.

Thank you for the help!

/ Craftsman LT1000 - change speed while riding? Also... rear differential upgrade? #2  
Ok, here's my two cents.

I have an LT1000 (917.271642) It's a 16.5 hp hydrostatic drive. Think it's a 2001 model.
My speed lever is very easy to move back and forth. When you hit the brake, it should bring it back to neutral.
If you look under the fender where the shifter is, there is a bolt where the shifter pivots.
You might try loosening or lubricating it to make it easier to move.

I have found mine to be good for mowing and towing a trailer.
It's a lawn tractor (LT) and isn't built stout enough to do much work.
I think you could overheat that transaxle trying to work it too hard.

Just replaced mine with a YT3000 (YT) which is a little heavier unit.
Then there's the GT model that's built for doing heavier work.

Pretty sure the transaxle wasn't made to be serviceable, except by a dealer.
One of the things I have read about is the fluid breaking down causing slipping.
Some have drilled and tapped a drain and fill hole to change the fluid, and say it has fixed the slipping problem.
You might do a search and find some info on that. Do it at your own risk though....wouldn't want any shavings at all to get in that system.
Don't think there is an upgrade for the rear end to beef it up or give limited slip.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you want to do heavier work, you might look at a different machine, and keep this one for mowing and light duty work.

/ Craftsman LT1000 - change speed while riding? Also... rear differential upgrade?
Tony, thanks for the reply.

I have an LT1000 (917.271642) It's a 16.5 hp hydrostatic drive. Think it's a 2001 model.
My speed lever is very easy to move back and forth. When you hit the brake, it should bring it back to neutral.
If you look under the fender where the shifter is, there is a bolt where the shifter pivots.
You might try loosening or lubricating it to make it easier to move.
Mine must be different, because when I press the brake it doesn't go to neutral.
I think I have a different transmission.

I have found mine to be good for mowing and towing a trailer.
It's a lawn tractor (LT) and isn't built stout enough to do much work.
I think you could overheat that transaxle trying to work it too hard.

Just replaced mine with a YT3000 (YT) which is a little heavier unit.
Then there's the GT model that's built for doing heavier work.
I don't plan on doing very heavy work with it, so I hope it will be allright.
I was just hoping to be able to add a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) somehow, given I have a few spots in my yard where I could use more traction.

Pretty sure the transaxle wasn't made to be serviceable, except by a dealer.
One of the things I have read about is the fluid breaking down causing slipping.
Some have drilled and tapped a drain and fill hole to change the fluid, and say it has fixed the slipping problem.
You might do a search and find some info on that. Do it at your own risk though....wouldn't want any shavings at all to get in that system.
Don't think there is an upgrade for the rear end to beef it up or give limited slip.
Sounds good, I'll look into that. I hope I find a drain and fill bolt, but I doubt I will. :)

Thank you.