engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp

/ engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp #1  

dave taus

Tractor
craftsman yt4500
I own a craftsman 54 in cut with a kohler 26 hp twin. It ran fine last week but when i started it today and started the mower it bogged down and backfired.Does any one have an idea what the problem could be?

/ engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp #2  
Bad bearing on the mower deck? Runs ok until you engage the deck?

/ engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp #3  
I have a Ferris ZT mower w/a CV740 engine, About 2 years ago it started using oil, smoking on start up. I understand Kohler had a problem with head gaskets on that motor. Replaced the head gaskets and all was well, a least for awhile. Next problem was loss of power. The fuel line inside the tank is flexable plastic. Where the plastic line connects to a barb fitting entering the tank, it had cracked. This acted like I was running out of gas while having a full tank.
About a month ago my neighbors Ferris stopped and wouldn't start. Same fuel line problem. I replaced the fuel line and it's up and running again.
I don't know if Sears uses the same system, but it's easy to check out.

Best, Bill

/ engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp #4  
most likely a bad bearing in the electronic pto clutch.
they get so tight they will stall your engine.
i had the same problem with my 18hp kohler in mt 1864 cub cadet.
the engine shaft which gets very hot is connected to the pto clutch.
if you are lucky the bearing will not be metric in size. you could replace the bearings in the pto clutch.
you may also experience the mower runs fine for a few seconds to a minute the stalls the motor.
as soon as the engine and bearing cools down the mower works for a short time again.
look on the the bearing for the part number and have your auto parts store see if it is a stock item.
most metric sized bearings for clutches are not in "any" parts book in the usa.
you will need to order a new pto clutch.
the bearings are a sealed bearing. if you wash your tractor off after mowing with the bearing hot it will draw water into the bearing and cause it to fail sooner. always let the tractor cool down before cleaning.
tom

/ engine problem with kohler v-twin 26 hp #5  
forgot to mention.
the test to tell if the bearing(s) in the clutch are bad.
disconnect the belt to the mowing deck. start the motor.
if the motor stalls with or without the clutch engaged the deck bearing are not the issue.
next remove the pto clutch from the engine shaft
with the clutch removed from the engine shaft start the motor.
if the engine runs, the problem is the clutch.
if the motor still will not run look for fuel or electrical.
tom