Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running #1  

mojoburger

Tractor
Craftsman/917.275285
My Craftsman Garden Tractor has been fine for a number of years until now.

Today it was very hard to start. When it finally did start, I had to keep the choke pulled just a bit or it would die.
The engine also died every time I released the break and when I tried to engage the blades.

Never had this problem before and would like to check a few things before I spend $$ on someone to fix it.

Any ideas on what I should check and/or look for?

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running #2  
Just had my Kohler apart. The fuel solenoid under the float bowl was plugged with gum. It shuts off the flow of gas when the key is turned off. Supposed to prevent back firing at shut down. After cleaning it and the secondary jet tube, the machine fired up like new.

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running #3  
I jut had the carb off my mower( it has a 17.5 B&S) I tried the starter and it was spinning good but would not fire up. I took the fuel hose off the carb and no gas was flowing. Took the line loose before the inline filter and no gas. Put the hoses back on and removed the fuel tank cap to look in the tank and it looked very clean. Removed the hose off the carb again and it flowed fuel. The vent in the cap must be plugged, the engine started right up.
Check that the cap vents, may not be your problem but might be.

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running
Thanks. I will take a look at that as soon as I get a chance ( may be a while). Still wondering why it dies when I release the break. ??

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running #5  
Mojoburger the dieing when blades engage or release the parking brake is likely a safety switch circuit issue. Had that problem on my FIL mower, was the seat switch. Try both jumping or removing the switch if no change it the wires (my actual problem) or the relay that "reads" safety switch positions.

/ Craftsman w/Kohler 27hp engine won't keep running #6  
Did you get it fixed?