Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #1  

jungling

Tractor
Craftsman GT5000
Need assistance in troubleshooting engine trouble with GT5000.

22 bph OHV Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin
Starts and Runs OK
No Power

so far:
New plugs, cleaned air filter, new fuel filter
Compression checked ok on both sides
seems to be running rich (could not find adjustment on carb)
good oil

Any ideas?

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #2  
Start the mower and the use something to ground out each spark plug individually. The rpm's will drop slightly if running correctly. if the engine dies when you ground one of the plugs then the engine wasn't running on the other cylinder for some reason. Could be no spark at plug, bent push rod, etc.

Also from your description of maybe running rich, make sure that the choke is opening fully and not causing a rich problem.

What was the compression reading that you obtained from both cylinders.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #3  
Start the mower and the use something to ground out each spark plug individually. The rpm's will drop slightly if running correctly. if the engine dies when you ground one of the plugs then the engine wasn't running on the other cylinder for some reason. Could be no spark at plug, bent push rod, etc.

Also from your description of maybe running rich, make sure that the choke is opening fully and not causing a rich problem.

What was the compression reading that you obtained from both cylinders.

Good advise. I liked your "use something to ground out each plug". When I was confronted with this problem I looked around the shop for something and could not find anything to ground the recessed plug without damaging the plug wire I stopped off at Harbor Freight and purchased this: 4 Piece Pick and Hook Set. Placed a alligator clip on the end of a three foot piece of wire, hooked one end to a good ground and the other to the shank on the straight pick. I can now ground or short out plugs with ease without damaging the plug wire.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #4  
I use a scratch awl, that I wrap a piece of bare wire around and then ground the other end to the engine. the plastic handle on the awl prevents me from getting bit.

Funny story from a few years ago. I had an old wisconsin engine that had the old mag on it. You would turn the flywheel by hand and the mag would click. that click was 50,000 volts to fire the plug. My brother was going to check for spark one day, so he grabbed the plug wire and had me turn the engine over slowly, like people used to do the briggs engine to get just a little nip. Well I cranked the engine over slowly like he asked, and the mag got him three times before he could let go of the plug wire.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek
As I recall, the compression tested about 125 on both sides

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #6  
Check spark plug color. Black tends to mean over rich mixture or low compression. White or gray is over heating or lean mixture. Light to medium tan mean normal operating temp for the spark plug

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #7  
Did you fix it?

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #8  
If it isn't fixed yet it may be the carb. Had to have it replaced on our craftsman after less than a year. You must use fuel stabilizer with an ethanol treatment in the fuel.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Trouible 22 bhp OHV B&S Intek #9  
Assuming you have checked the air filter, fuel filter and flow; and some other basic things, I would now check the timing. I would check the timing by observing the key way at the flywheel; see if it is sheered in the slightest amount.