Straight pipes!

/ Straight pipes! #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
Hi, I want to put straight pipes on my custom lawn mower. I want to be careful not to damage my engine, so is there like a minimum distance the pipes need to be or how could I make this work? thanks

/ Straight pipes! #2  
I think as long as it is similar legnth to the muffler it should be fine. If working it or using it underload might cause early exhaust valve failure but not enough to make a visible change.

/ Straight pipes!
Ok so as long as about 10-12 inches it wont hurt it? I can make them longer but just want to make sure before i do.

/ Straight pipes! #4  
What rpm are you going to turn this thing?

/ Straight pipes!
No more than the factory governer settings, whatever they may be.

/ Straight pipes! #6  
I bought a Sears 22 HP Kohler mower (w/0 50" deck) from a neighbor, as I had another older one starting to fail. The guy that had cut the muffler off and added a 3" vertical stack. Sounded like a Harley MC, and very loud (required ear muffs). My old one just siezed up in the transaxel so put that muffler on the Harley Mower and now I have one I can use w/o ear protection. I have a ne Husky mower so use it for a tower. He had it that way for several years and did not seem to have any adverse effect. Time will tell.

Ron

/ Straight pipes!
Ok approxanently how long was the stack? I am just worried about back pressure.

/ Straight pipes!
Ok thank you, i think im just going to weld up some longer pipes and just run it, worse case she blows but it is a 10 yr old engine so. thanks again

/ Straight pipes! #10  
Using some assumptions about the engine, I get a value of 30" or 40" for a 1" pipe. With 40" being preferred.