Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine

/ Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine #1  

pctdavis

Tractor
Craftsman GT3000
I saw a listing for a new model GT5000 (red) that is in good condition for $250 (a steal in my opinion), but they say it has a broken rod and wont run. Besides doing some work to replace that, any red flags on the engine I should consider when looking at this? If it is only a rod, that is fixable but not sure what other damage could have been done.

Thanks.

/ Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine #2  
Here is a few pictures of my blown rod engine,you may be looking for another engine

Attachments

• DSC01019.JPG
    DSC01019.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC01020.JPG
    DSC01020.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 336
   / Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine
Well you make a very convincing point. I guess my only hope would be that the seller said they "had to have it diagnosed' as a broken rod and I am assuming your damage was visible from the outside. Guess the only way to know the extent of damage is a tear down. These Kohler engines make good tractors into garbage quick. My GT3000 is solid as a rock except for the engine.

/ Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine #4  
All the damage was internal, but I bought the machine anyway. I had another engine that would fit and has worked out well for 3 years now. Quite a few engines will probably replace the original. Mine was a 23HP Kohler and a 15HP Briggs single went back in perfectly. I have not seen any lack of power from the change. I have another tractor with the original engine to compare it to.

/ Newer Model GT5000 - Blown Engine #5  
Mine has a 26 hp B&S, I love it, bought it for basically nothing because they thought it wouldn't run after it sat out or 2years in a divorce situation. I started and drove it on the trailer, one cylinder was dead because of a stuck valve, I got the valve unstuck and replaced the pushrod. I just use it with a Johnny bucket and beat it badly as a bulldozer, loader, tree dragger, etc... My point is for a cheaper tractor it is great unit!