New GT5000 26HP Mower Deck Question

/ New GT5000 26HP Mower Deck Question #1  

VirginiaEd

I bought a Craftsman GT5000 with a 26HP Kohler engine earlier this year. It has a 54" deck. The mower is really picky about running on any kind of a slant or slope. The slightest tilt and it wants to cut off. And going downhill or on a slope it also starts to run rough and puts out smoke. I'm aware of the oil filling problem with this engine. I guess mine doesn't have the re-engineered dip stick.

Anyhow, it mows okay on a nice flat lawn, but on uneven ground it likes to scalp. On my older GT 6000 the mower deck somewhat floats and rides the uneven ground without scalping. Does anyone know if there is a floating deck kit for the newer mower (917.250240)? Or maybe a modification that can be made to let the deck ride over bumps without scalping?

I thought about changing the gage wheels, but don't really see how that would solve the problem. I'd like to maintain the same grass cut height like the old GT6000 does.

Thanks.

/ New GT5000 26HP Mower Deck Question #2  
The tilt and rough terrain problem may be the float level or a defective operator switch.