A river runs through the tecumseh

/ A river runs through the tecumseh #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
It's freezing I'm laying in dirt with a flashlight trying to stop the gas pouring through the carb. It's a craftsman woodchipper by the way with a HS50 Tecumseh. Put a new carb kit in it and a float. Turn gas on and it dumps straight through carb. No problem... Adjust the float... Reassemble.... River.... Readjust.... River. Went from one extreme to the other on float adjustment-no change just a river of gas. If I pull the bowl I can stop the flow just barely touching the float. Poured cup of gas and made sure the float floats. I'm lost here gotta be missing something here.

/ A river runs through the tecumseh #2  
float rubbing/hanging up on inside of float bowl ?
I've seen this with a composite float that apparently swelled slightly after a few years in gas.

Pete

/ A river runs through the tecumseh
I tried one plastic float, one brass float with gas in it, and one clean brass float. Situation never changed. So I drank a beer. I turned the carb over with no float and just set the needle on the seat and with gravity it could stop the flow. Had a good float and a good needle-seat seal, but they wouldn't work together. So I put in a good dip and started thinking.... This carb had no needle at all when I first opened it up. I got to digging around and found a similar engine with a complete carb. I pulled the needle out of it and compared them. The new needle was shorter and more rounded. The old one was inserted and my problem was solved. Someone else's problem of me having to figure out they dropped the ball on me is just starting:)

/ A river runs through the tecumseh
uglyboywith11fingers said:
float rubbing/hanging up on inside of float bowl ?
I've seen this with a composite float that apparently swelled slightly after a few years in gas.

Pete

Thank you Pete. I wish I would have lucked out with a rubbing float early in the game. That way I wouldn't be laying in bed as mad now haha. Im not real sure what to think about a plastic float yet. Interesting about seeing one swell up like that.

/ A river runs through the tecumseh #5  
A first for me. The last two carb kits I bought for a small engine had a tiny O-ring that installed as the seat for the float valve.