Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ?

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ? #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Hi
I have never posted on this small engine forum before so please bare with me. 2 years ago I bought a like new craftsman snowblower from some older folks near by.I was going to give it to my son for his yard but his farther inlaw was in despirate need of a blower as well.He was shoveling a 275 foot yard by hand so I sold it to him very cheep I actually lost $200.00 on the deal but they are very poor and I knew he needed one.
Today my daughter inlaw asked me if I knew why his blower was blowing flames from the exhaust. I said well not really too much fuel? flooded?. I work on chainsaws some and I am the only one she knew that knew anything about engines so she asked me for help. Plus I figure he has no money for a repair shop, I saw this snow blower this fall sitting outside on thier mess of a front lawn uncovered( pretty rough outfit). I asked my son and he told me yep that is where it sets till winter then he uses it.
I did a quick search on google and a couple of things come up, 1) carb / fuel pump issue maybe or 2) stuck / broken exhaust valve or valve guide or 3) cracked engine block near the exhaust valve.
I am already a little nervous about this unit, like I said I work on saws 2 cycle engines not 4 cycle engines.I cannot remember the hp of the engine probably 4 or 5 hp.I do not have the blower here yet. If you had to hazzard a guess what may be the likely cause of this problem? I dont know if there is fuel in the block or not like I said I dont have it here yet.Thanks for any help or advice Jeff

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ? #2  
The exhaust valve is open during power stroke?

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ?
Yea I guess it could be anything like that .When and If they bring it to me is there a way to tell if a valve is stuck open?

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ? #4  
or predetonation, may need to bump up the octane.

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ? #6  
I take it still had last years fuel,try fresh fuel..least burn 1/2 tank.

/ Flameing crafstman snow blower exhaust ? #7  
I have had Craftman engines leak gas thru the carb float valve into the cylinder if they sit for a long time. Sometimes it fills the crankcase with gas. My mother in law's mower tractor did this. When I first went to start it, gas spewed out of the exhaust. Had there been anything hot nearby there woulda been a real impressive fireball for all the neighbors to admire. The fix was to cut the fuel line and add an on/off valve. Cost about $4. Also had to put a label right next to the key to remind her to turn it off when she shut it down and to turn it on before starting. Fixed it good.

Not saying this is your problem, but it would only take a second to pull the dipstick and give it a sniff. Should smell like motor oil, not gasoline.

Good luck!

I appreceiate all the replys Yea I would guess she has had zero care.These folks live of the kindness of the goverment if ya know what I mean.
I am sure I can give it some tlc when they get it here.Pre detonation ,..same as spark knock? I bet it has the same gas from last year.I know they take no care of anything when it breaks they make a call and someone some where helps em out.They just dont apreceiate anything nice.
I tell ya this blower had honestly 3 small storms on it the old folks bought ti and could not run it. It's a shame really.

I read the same sort of thing on the web,I hope that is the issue.

I am going to get this back into my shop soon and I want some opinions. When I asked the guy why he was tinkering on it he told me well it just will not run. I asked him if he could remember anything happening before it started acting up.
He said nope just blowing out my yard and it started acting up. When I got to the front end of the blower I made a comment that the auger looked kind of banged up. He laughs and says oh yea I fed her a lot of rocks in my yard, "sometimes I even gave her one she wouldn't eat" and would bind her right up !
My question is do you suppose that the flywheel key got damaged and it is acting like it is firing out of sequence ( ie ) blowing flames out the exhaust? I was just looking for someone else's thoughts on the whole flywheel key idea. I don't have a big wheel puller I assume that wheel is pretty good size. I would have to do the rope in the cylinder trick and a sharp rap to the flywheel nut flush to the crank tip.