Craftsman towing ability?

/ Craftsman towing ability? #1  

Matthewf13

I have a Craftsman Model No-917. 287261. It has a 24 horsepower B&S Intek V-Twin. How much can this tractor tow do you guys think?

/ Craftsman towing ability? #2  
It will tow anything you want until it spins out.

/ Craftsman towing ability? #3  
It will tow anything you want until it spins out.

I know with lighter duty box store john deeres guys talk about weak trannies, k46 I think. Might be an issue on craftsmen as well, I really don't know.

My JD z465 (ZTR) (gas 27HP) is only rated at 500# for reference.

/ Craftsman towing ability? #4  
Yeah I wouldn't want to tow a bunch of weight. Isn't that a belt drive to the tranny? Dad had something that sounds similar and he would tow around a little trailer that we might stack 80lbs of wood in. That was on a flat yard for short distances it didn't seem to hurt that.

/ Craftsman towing ability? #5  
what are you intending to do with it? generally any gas engine lawn tractor can pull any dump cart that is not wider then tractor with any material is pretty much the limit. wood/gravel/etc. I dont think the problem is pulling things with it. Its the weight of tractor with Operator on it in certain terrains. mud? forget it - you ll get stuck. soft soil from wet winter? stuck. wet clay? stuck. been there, done that.

/ Craftsman towing ability?
I plan on pulling a rough cut mower with it. The shipping weight is 500 pounds so it might be a little less.

/ Craftsman towing ability? #7  
You might see if Craftsman has anything on their website about that tractor

/ Craftsman towing ability? #8  
If it as a LT and not the GT, towing the rough cut mower will overheat the tranny if it is hydrostat, causing transmission failure, possible within a couple hours.

/ Craftsman towing ability?
If it as a LT and not the GT, towing the rough cut mower will overheat the tranny if it is hydrostat, causing transmission failure, possible within a couple hours.

That is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure...Thanks!

/ Craftsman towing ability? #10  
Actually happened to one of my customers with a new Craftsman mower about 5 years ago. Tranny started whining about thirty minutes into the mowing job, after about an hour and a half, mower stopped moving with a loud growling noise.