courage trouble

/ courage trouble #1  

buckdan

Tractor
2011 craftsman pgt9000
Hi, I am new to this forum.
Looking for some information on my pgt 9000 26hp kohler courage.
I have owned this tractor since new in May 2011. A month after using this to mow my lawn i noticed some blue smoke coming from the engine, but only briefly and then dissapeared.
Now in to my 2nd year I am blowing snow, I have noticed a reduction in power/hp and more blue smoke. Lack of power, just doesnt seem to have the power it used to have. The oil is fine and up to the full mark.
Could it be a blown head gasket?

Last edited:
   / courage trouble #2  
Could be a blown head gasket. could also be something as simple as a misfiring spark plug, or bad ignition module. Post up the model number and spec off the engine, and I will see what I can find out from Kohler, if there is any known problems with head gaskets, or other problems.

/ courage trouble
My PGT900 is actually a 2011.
Spec# PS-SV735-3030
SERIAL# 4104629773
BUILD DATE-02/15/2011
Hope this would be helpfull in determining my lack of power issue,
Thanks.

/ courage trouble #4  
When I saw the title, I thought someone was trying to work up the courage to tell his wife he wanted to buy a tractor.

/ courage trouble
Courage needed now, my engine is failing! How long is warranty on this engine, cant seem to find it in my manual.

/ courage trouble #6  
:welcome: engine warranty is under engine manual.

/ courage trouble #7  
I helped a fellow recently with this same problem. Turns out its an internal seal leaking oil into the intake manifold and burns (blue smoke). If you search online, you will be able to get reports of complaints from many owners.

/ courage trouble
ok thanks,
need to investigate further with other owners with same problem.

/ courage trouble #9  
Kohler has a service bulletin for smoking when used on an incline. Kohler removed a gasket in the internal breather which resulted in oil pooling in the breather. There is a service kit to replace the gasket as well as a new dipstick to slightly lower the oil level in the engine. The warranty on your engine is 2 years from date of purchase. I think I heard some other dealers taking about blown head gaskets as a result of the oil blowing out of breather and getting burn at one of my Kohler update schools.