Tractor
    Craftsman

Cool Oil does not get dark after 15 hours use

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here and very dangerous as I know a little bit about engines and tractors. But only enough to get me in trouble. About 3 mos. ago or more I changed the oil in my Craftsman GTS6500 Kohler Twin 26hp. I always check the oil but noticed that even after 10 to 15 hours of use (engine has a total of 130 hours runtime) the oil is still clear. Sounds good but it worries me that it is in such good condition after running it in this Florida heat. Does that sound possible or does anyone think there might be a problem? Are there any other things I should check? Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Eric

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

Default Re: Oil does not get dark after 15 hours use

Sounds like the engine is running clean, without any blowby from the rings. I wouldn't think about it for another minute. the day will come when you wish the oil would stay clean.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

to TBN
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

only oil I expect to get black fast is in diesels...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Hi Eric - If you've been changing the oil and filter on schedule, you've got nothing to worry about.

What can cause the oil to go dark fast (gas engine) is if you buy a used piece of equipment, and the previous owner had been neglecting the oil changes - in other words, black sludge is built up internally due to lack of maintenance.

The detergents in fresh oil will go to work dissolving the sludge - in a case like that, you can see the oil darken faster than in a well maintained engine.

Guys will watch for this, on the first oil change that they do on Used equipment - if it darkens fast, then they will move up the next oil change accordingly. You'll see Soundguy's posts on this, on (really) old Ag tractors that he resurrects - many have sat for a very long time before he gets them, so a normal approach that restorers use is to plan on a very short Oil Change Interval, using the lowest cost approved oil that is available.

(Just FYI, to put some context on comments you may have seen - my guess is yours is doing just fine.).

Rgds, D.

Tractor
    Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Erweiss View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie here and very dangerous as I know a little bit about engines and tractors. But only enough to get me in trouble. About 3 mos. ago or more I changed the oil in my Craftsman GTS6500 Kohler Twin 26hp. I always check the oil but noticed that even after 10 to 15 hours of use (engine has a total of 130 hours runtime) the oil is still clear. Sounds good but it worries me that it is in such good condition after running it in this Florida heat. Does that sound possible or does anyone think there might be a problem? Are there any other things I should check? Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Eric
    Thanks to all. I thought that it was too good to be true. I did in fact buy this GTS used with 95 hours on it. It was in excellent condition with the exception of a bad battery and a few dings in the hood. Cleaned it up and it's like new. I was happy to find out that it had the TurfTorq K66 Tranny which allows me to use ground engaging equipment. Thanks for your input and thanks for welcoming me on board.
    --Eric

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

just keep an eye on it.

probably just a very clean machine.

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Welcome to TBN......sounds like everything is fine with your machine. No need to worry.
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Sounds like a excellent and good running motor. BTW, welcome aboard.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.

Eric,

Good to hear that your engine should be OK.
    I have a new JD170 lawn mower and became concerned on the TuffTorque transmission after reading of failures and repairs.
    Check out this link - it will lead you in the right direction should you have any transmission problems.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...-pictures.html

I will be doing an oil change on my transmission once the weather improves here (currently 3 ft of snow and ambient temperature of -6C or 20F)
    and I can work in my shop in comfort. You will have the advantage of being able to purchase the parts relatively cheaply with living in the USA.
    HTH
    Jim
    2007 Jinma 554 tractor, FEL, 8ft Rear Blade, 73" Snowblower, 2002 3500 Dodge Ram 4x4, 1986 F250 4x4 SC 6.9 turboed diesel.