Craftsman Kohler sv735 starter problem

/ Craftsman Kohler sv735 starter problem #1  

craigbaill

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2670
I have a 2010 gt 5000 with the kohler sv735 engine . The starter drive gear will extend while attempting to start but it will NOT retract. I took the cover off the top of the engine and the gear is not jammed and the clearance is not tight between the flywheel and starter gear. It seems like that the spring is not strong enough to retract the gear but this is the second starter. The second starter is a genuine, brand new part. This starter is doing the exact same thing the original starter was doing. I looked online and on here and I have nothing about kohler starter problems.

I did check the battery and it is fully charged. I even tried starting the engine while the charger was hooked up and it made no difference.

I need your help folks since I am out of ideas.

/ Craftsman Kohler sv735 starter problem
hmmm this is a stumper...over 20 views and no comments! I didn't rewire anything and I have had the engine running so I KNOW the engine is fine. I managed to start it 5-6 different times with my corded 1/2" drill till I broke the drill...

anybody??

/ Craftsman Kohler sv735 starter problem #3  
Ok let me see if we can narrow this down. Take a meter and check the battery voltage. Now while trying to start recheck the battery voltage. what was the voltage drop. also while attemping to start put the red lead on the starter nut and the black lead on the negative terminal of the battery. what is the voltage. while still attempting to start, touch the red lead to the case of the starter, and the black lead still attached to the negative terminal of the battery. get these voltage readings and I will be able to narrow down the problem.

Thanks for he reply! I need to get a meter today. I did find a short which may have drained he battery so I am going to get the battery bench tested since it is 3 years. Maybe the battery IS shot....

/ Craftsman Kohler sv735 starter problem #5  
Thanks for he reply! I need to get a meter today. I did find a short which may have drained he battery so I am going to get the battery bench tested since it is 3 years. Maybe the battery IS shot....

If the battery is 3 years on that could be a big possible problem.

Yup! I started checking voltages and figured, " what the hey...let me try to start it and see what happens." It cranked a second, then clicked and then nada. I checked the voltage again and ZIP. I put it on the charger for awhile and eventually got it to crank. It started right up but when I shut it off 40 mins later in the shed it was dead as a doornail!. Probably a bad cell... lesson learned. Check the easy stuff first. I never really figured it would be a dead battery until I started searching threads and RANDYT got me thinking. Thanks RANDYT!!

P.S. for an engine that sat for 6 months, it started right up.