Help me understand the need for "toe in"...

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #1  

camperbc

Tractor
Sears Craftsman Professional 24HP
I understand that these tractors come with a factory set toe-in, (is quite noticeable) but I am hoping that someone can explain why? (mine is a brand-spanking-new Canadian version of the PYT9000; Kohler 24HP V-Twin, 46" mower deck, Hydrostatic transmission) To my way of thinking, I would assume that a tractor would steer better if the front wheels were perfectly aligned. The fact that they are toed in would lead me to believe that this would put excessive stress on the steering linkage, bearings, etc, and would even cause premature tire wear, no? So then, this toe-in actually improves the steering? Or am I missing something here?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can shed some light on this great mystery. Anyway, I just want to add that I am so far loving my new toy!

Thanks!

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #2  
The right amount of toe in keeps the vehicle going straight with a minimal amount of added stress and wear. It is possible to have too much adding significant wear and stress.

If it appears to be to much it likely is. Check the manual.

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #3  
Without toe in a vehicle gets "darty" and near impossible to keep straight.

Of course on slow moving vehicles (tractors) it isnt near as important but still helps

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #4  
...and the wheels naturally want to splay apart when the vehicle is in motion. The toe-in is there to keep it from toeing out when moving.

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #5  
Are you talking about toe or camber? I think you mean camber, if the toe is visible there is way too much. Toe-in is when the front of the tire is closer together than the rear of the tire, the difference is typically 1/8" and is adjustable. Camber (particularly on 4wd tractors) will be when the top of the tire is out further than the bottom, this is built-in and is to help steering and drivability under load.

Brian

/ Help me understand the need for "toe in"... #6  
There are three variables:

Caster - like a bicycle, the top of each kingpin tilts back. (And the centerline of the kingpin doesn't point right at the axle, it points behind the axle). This has a natural tendency to steer straight. Also (in theory) it will return the steering wheel to center when you let go of the wheel.

Camber - the tops of the kingpins are farther apart than their lowest point.

Toein - a little bit of toein prevents shimmy.

All three should be near spec.