Best Value... Lawn Mower for $2,000 or below.

/ Best Value... Lawn Mower for $2,000 or below. #1  

sierradmax

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 Bobcat 763 & 2009 S-175
In need of a lawn mower to mow roughly 1.5 acres of grass. I thought of purchasing a MMM for my Kubota B2320 but was steered away from the kubota salesman, telling me I would get a better cut from a lawn mower for cheaper. He pointed at a couple Husqvarana mowers (top of the line), $2500 mowers comparable to the cost of a 60" MMM. With cutting grass as it's ONLY use, I can't see justifying a $2000+ tractor for once a week use.

What's better. 2 blade or 3? I don't care on the deck size but I would guess the norm is anything greater than 42"... No need for a 54". 22hp and above? I was told to stay clear of Kohler engines. Kawasaki V-twin is indestructible. Husky's are real nice but for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, I can get the sears/Craftsman counterpart.

/ Best Value... Lawn Mower for $2,000 or below. #2  
In need of a lawn mower to mow roughly 1.5 acres of grass. I thought of purchasing a MMM for my Kubota B2320 but was steered away from the kubota salesman, telling me I would get a better cut from a lawn mower for cheaper. He pointed at a couple Husqvarana mowers (top of the line), $2500 mowers comparable to the cost of a 60" MMM. With cutting grass as it's ONLY use, I can't see justifying a $2000+ tractor for once a week use.

What's better. 2 blade or 3? I don't care on the deck size but I would guess the norm is anything greater than 42"... No need for a 54". 22hp and above? I was told to stay clear of Kohler engines. Kawasaki V-twin is indestructible. Husky's are real nice but for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, I can get the sears/Craftsman counterpart.

How many trees and obstacles do you have?
If not too many I would buy a rear finish mower...
It will give you years of service and have less maintenance costs associated with a dedicated lawn mower/tractor...
I mow approximately 3 acres 8 months out of the year using a rear finish mower...
The first 14 years I used a light duty Land Pride and currently the last 6 years I have used a heavy duty Woods...
In those 20 years I replaced the blades a couple of times, 1 drive belt, and a couple of deck wheels...
That was all on the Land Pride being used 14 years...
So far I have not replaced anything on the Woods...
If you have tight mowing conditions this may not be an option...

/ Best Value... Lawn Mower for $2,000 or below. #3  
I bought a Craftsman YT4000 at a sale price early in last year's mowing season. I'm happy so far. Having owned more heavy-duty tractors, I know some of the shortcomings of this rig. However, It mows the lawn just fine, and that's all I bought it for.

/ Best Value... Lawn Mower for $2,000 or below. #4  
My Simplicity 3 blade (44 in) did cut better than my Husky 2 blade (46 in). For overall costs the Kubota MMM will be cheaper for the next 20 years. If trimming is not a problem a rear finish mower will save on the initial costs.