Tractor
    Craftsman

Default Need help with my new (older) Craftsman

First of all, I don't even know what model it is. I don't see a model number anywhere on the tractor. I know it was made in 98 and has a 20HP Twin V Kohler engine. Basically, I need to learn more about this thing. I just picked it up last night and I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about tractors. I had a 2003 John deere L120 which was just a POS. I read all about the crappy tranny those things came with and well, I hated it after the first year I had it. Anyway, now I have this 6 speed manual tractor and I'm not even sure I'm driving it correctly. It looks pretty basic, 6 speeds, hi and low gear. I'm assuming I just move the hi low hear to low if I want gears 1 thru 3 and high for gears 4 thru 6. Is this correct? It looks like it uses the same position for 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6. The only trouble is I can't seem to get the hi low gear into low so it would seem I'm suck in gears 4 5 and 6.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

Default Re: Need help with my new (older) Craftsman

You have the concept down as far as gears. Sometimes if the low range isn't used it will get sticky. Sometimes if you let the clutch out slowly while in gear it will slip into Low range. Just something to try.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum