Craftsman 54

/ Craftsman 54 #1  

eastcoast9

Tractor
craftsman 54
:mad:I have a 2005 craftsman 54 cut riding mower and like all the previous craftsman riding mowers the K46 trans has let me down, axle barring started leaking and then it started whining and then stopped. I took it apart, cleaned it, added new fluid and thought that I had fixed the problem but after a couple of passes it started whining again and then stops. I just don't understand it because everything inside the trans. looked brand new, nothing stood out. The one thing I didn't do was purge it, how is this done. I need some help, can't afford to keep buying a new mower every couple of years, this mower was not cheap. Thanks

Last edited:
   / Craftsman 54 #2  
Welcome aboard! Consider getting something a little heavier built, even if it's used.
Personally, I'd look at anything with a diesel as they seem to do the same work with 1/2 the HP and use 1/2 the fuel doing it.
I got frustrated with frequent engine issues on our Craftsman and decided I needed something more ruggedly built.
Our Kubota G5200H with 14 HP and a 44" deck makes our 21 HP Craftsman with a 42" deck seem painfully underpowered, especially in any grass over 6" long. The Eaton 1100-046 HST unit is smooth and seems to be rock solid. So far, I'm into it for about $2300 ($2000 used price & $300 in parts) and I'm very satisfied.

/ Craftsman 54 #3  
:welcome: from Ohio