Transplant: from Kohler to Briggs

/ Transplant: from Kohler to Briggs #1  

thaugen

Tractor
Troy Bilt
Kohler suffered fatal internal damage, so I bought a good-running Briggs to replace it. Bolts right in but the wiring is confusing. Here are the particulars:

Donor: Sears 917272352
Briggs 15.5HP OHV 31C707 Type 0230E Code 030509ZE 31449

Recipient: Sears 917256544
Kohler Command CV15S 15HP OHV dead

Wires:

Briggs: Red and Orange - on back of engine
Grey - to carb (changes to blue in chassis loom)
Black - to ignition on top of engine

Kohler: Red - carb
Yellow - ?
White - ?
Black - ?

In a chassis connector the Kohler changes to Blue, Orange, Red and Black.

So I guessed and ran blue to blue, orange to orange, and tried connecting the other two. No starter, no joy. How should my wires be connected?
Do I need to transplant the solenoid as well?

Thanks, Tom

/ Transplant: from Kohler to Briggs #2  
Hi,
Have you figured out the wiring yet? You said " no starter" Did the engine crank, but not start? or it did
not crank? Is there a starter solenoid on the tractor in question? Do you have a 12 volt test light. it will
help in getting this right. if you connect something wrong you could damage some electronics.
Thanks, George

/ Transplant: from Kohler to Briggs #3  
PS: you said you ran orange to orange and blue to blue?? the kohler didn't have orange or blue wires? so what was actually connected?
george

/ Transplant: from Kohler to Briggs #4  
I just had a 24 hp Kohler removed and a Briggs 30 hp put in. (It went in a Dixie Chopper) The idiots that installed it couldn't get the wiring right and after three attempts at getting it to start, they burned up the kill wire's diodes and both coils. It cost me around $100.00 to get the parts to repair it. I won't go into the rest of the story with these so called mechanics. I have since found out that the reason it will crank like crazy but not start is that there is a solenoid in the carb that stops fuel flow when the switch is in the off position. I guess it is to prevent dieseling. The solenoid is hot when the key is in on position, but when you turn the key to start, the power is removed from the solenoid killing fuel to the carb. The engine won't start until you throw gas at the carburetor.

Hope this helps in your troubleshooting, it might be the same deal with yours.