Fuel Trouble

/ Fuel Trouble #1  

OldTractr

Tractor
Allis Chalmer
I have a Sears Model #917270771 Craftsman Lawn tractor with intermittent fuel shortage trouble. I think the fuel pump may be the issue... I'm thinking it does pump some but doesn't keep float bowl filled. Sometimes I have to run with choke all the way out and even then it may not get enough fuel. At other times the choke will actually flood engine if left out. I bought an universal fuel pump but not sure or proper hose routing. Mikuni 808492. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any ideas.

/ Fuel Trouble #2  
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put it in a jar or can and crank over engne. you will be able to see how much fuel its pumping. if its got good flow you could have a carb problem with dirt or water in the bowl. some engine info would be helpful. Fuel pumps have 3 hose barbs. In--Out--Vaccum

/ Fuel Trouble #3  
Check the gas cap. I had the same problem with my GS6500, usually on hot days. It wouldn't vent and created a vacuum in the tank. Now I do not tighten the cap down all the way, unless I forget and it happens again. I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years. Two of my old MAC 610 chainsaws, same thing, drilled them. I think the alcohol in the gas damages the rubber/neoprene.

/ Fuel Trouble #4  
2nd on the gas cap, make sure it is venting properly. I tried everything first on my craftsman and was kind of embarrassed when a new cap solved all the problems.

/ Fuel Trouble #5  
Thanks to everyone for this post! I was having the same problem with my 2006 GS6500 and tried everything "easy"...air filter, fuel filter, carb cleaner, new battery, etc. Thought I was going to have to learn how to disassemble and clean a carb, but the gas cap trick did it!

/ Fuel Trouble #6  
DSS711, I see this is your first post. Welcome to TBN, the forum with useful information that saves you money and time! But if you are around too long the "save you money" part will cancel out when we point out what you really need.:D