Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler #1  

rocstel

Tractor
John Deere STX38
Hello all,

Working on a CV22 that only wants to run at about half choke. Had a bad fuel pump (replaced) and cleaned the fuel lines/replaced fuel filter. I can cover the carb intake and stall the engine. Is there still a chance of a vacuum leak? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler #2  
Could be the idle jet is partially plugged in the carb. This will allow the engine to run at partial choke and also would cause the engine to stall at full choke.

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler
Well I took the carb off, the idle solenoid and the bowl. Cleaned all. Found some sediment in the bowl. Did the best I could cleaning the needle and seat without removing the float. Still the same issue. Is there a possibility of a leaking head gasket? Runs pretty smooth with the choke 3/4 shut. If I open the choke all the way it quits.

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler #4  
When you pull the fuel line of the carb is there is a good stream of gas?

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler
Still struggling with this engine. Please define what a "good stream" of fuel would be. I blew out all the lines, flushed and blew out the gas tank and cap, and still the engine only runs at 3/4 to full choke. Is a good stream a full 1/4" fuel line diameter?

:confused2:

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler #6  
I have the same motor ,and its starting to need alittle choke to run right.Im planning to remove carb,and use a thin wire to clean the jets and needle valve,when i have time or when it gets real bad.

/ Craftsman Model 917 with a CV22 22.5 V Twin Kohler #8  
I have used these engines on my Dixie Chopper.

That solenoid is a fuel shutoff assembly to prevent backfire. Remove it, clean it out good. Check and make sure it is working correctly.

Install new air filter. An oil soaked dirty filter will starve the carb of air.

Check the vent on the gas cap. You have to have a vented fuel cap or it will start a vacuum and stop the fuel.

Check for good fuel filter.

Check bowel for water.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_07.pdf