DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #1  

markh99

Tractor
john deere 2150
I have a craftsman DYS4500 lawn tractor and i just replaced the pump and motor in the
TuffTorq 46BT transaxle. Now I have decent acceleration and speed in forward and
reverse again but now the forward pedal is the reverse pedal and the reverse is forward.
I have looked at the linkages over and over and I have removed the transaxle multiple
times and looked at the guts of it and I do not see what has been reversed.
Has anyone had this problem or know the solution?

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #2  
The crown gear is on the wrong side of the pinion gear?

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle
The crown gear is on the wrong side of the pinion gear?

thanks for response -- i did not touch those gears - they are on down stream (drive train wise) from
the pump and motor aren't they?

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #4  
thanks for response -- i did not touch those gears - they are on down stream (drive train wise) from
the pump and motor aren't they?

Yes they are so then next question. Is it possible to reverse the hoses going to the hydraulic motor or is it all one unit? I know you've said you looked but is it possible to switch the forward and reverse linkages on the bell crank that operates the hydraulic pump?

Yes they are so then next question. Is it possible to reverse the hoses going to the hydraulic motor or is it all one unit? I know you've said you looked but is it possible to switch the forward and reverse linkages on the bell crank that operates the hydraulic pump?

thanks again for response. there are no hoses and there is only one linkage - it moves one way for forward and the other for reverse.

about the 12th photo down and just above : "Rebuild this just like it came apart on the other page of pictures. Perform a small miracle and get it all wedged / spring loaded back into it's 3D place and get the bolts tight"

at TuffTorq K46 Rebuild

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #6  
Ok so I'm going to assume that the belt is installed properly ie no twist in it. Then the only thing left is that there is something wrong with the way it was put together. On the 4th last picture there is a little black lever under the pulley and fan. Is that the forward reverse control? Is it 90 degrees out from where it should be? Right now it's pointed to the left side of the picture. Should it be rotated 90 degrees to the right? I'm thinking that it's just something that's simple like that.

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #7  
:welcome:
To the forum Alabama, USA.

Ok so I'm going to assume that the belt is installed properly ie no twist in it. Then the only thing left is that there is something wrong with the way it was put together. On the 4th last picture there is a little black lever under the pulley and fan. Is that the forward reverse control? Is it 90 degrees out from where it should be? Right now it's pointed to the left side of the picture. Should it be rotated 90 degrees to the right? I'm thinking that it's just something that's simple like that.

i am thinking this way too -- something simple.
next to last picture ( the one above the mobil 5w50 container) has the 3 actuating levers (all 3 black)

left rear lever is fwd/reverse and is in correct position -- only way to connect to linkage is right where it is

foreground left lever is engage/disengage drive lever and it is working fine

right front lever is the brake and it is working fine

so i am still baffled -- i have looked at the two pedals -fwd/rev and tried to see a way that they are
flipped but i do not see it

the belt is very tight - any flipping and it would not go together

anyway thanks for trying

/ DYS 4500 runs backwards after refitting transaxle #9  
Ok so that leaves a me with the idea that there is something flipped 90 or 180 degrees inside. Something in the part that is bolted on with three bolt in the 14th picture from the top. This is going to be a simple fix. It's just a matter of figuring out what "it" is. Good luck

Ok so that leaves a me with the idea that there is something flipped 90 or 180 degrees inside. Something in the part that is bolted on with three bolt in the 14th picture from the top. This is going to be a simple fix. It's just a matter of figuring out what "it" is. Good luck

tuff torq sorted this out for me:
I do apologize for the inconvenience. You will have to open the unit back up unfortunately to fix the issue you are experiencing. There is a wedge shaped aluminum block that houses a bearing. Depending on how you have the block installed, it will need to be rotated to fix the problem. So, if you have the big end facing the lower case then it will need to be rotated to where the small end is facing the lower case. I have attached a picture of the housing below.

Thank you for your inquiry.